0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 4

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Computer won't recognize MIDI input device

insideac

Hey guys, im using a yamaha keyboard, to plug into my computer, and its using a MIDIsport UNO MIDI to USB connector. It said that I would be able to use it like a MIDI controller like this, but it doesnt even pick up the stupid keyboard. What do I have to do, or whats wrong here? Any help appreciated. If theres anything else you have to know let me know.
March 28, 2007 @01:48am
itsplayed

Hey insideac and welcome to the forums....
Does everything look ok in the device manager....ie. no question marks, exclamation points, etc.? If all is ok, then select the Midisport uno as the default midi device in the control panel(Sounds and Audio devices).
March 28, 2007 @03:51am
insideac

Yeah I tried that, and still nothing. I tried connecting it into a different USB port, I have 8. I tried restarting my computer, and the device manager doesnt even see it. I dont understand, since I installed the software and drivers. Also, how can I record and listen to MIDIs? I remember way back when, I would use the piano roll in SONAR to make MIDIs, and I would notice that the little bits would show up, but when I hit play, it was silent.
March 28, 2007 @04:14am
itsplayed

Does the Midisport UNO device show up in the control panel(Sounds and Audio Devices)? If it does, then there should be no issue. What recording app. are you using now....Sonar?
Midi is not sound, only information. Here's a great site for a heads up to the Midi world....
http://www.tweakheadz.com/how_to_get_started_with_midi.html
March 28, 2007 @12:32pm
tomwhite56

BUMP!
I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Last post asked:
Does the Midisport UNO device show up in the control panel(Sounds and Audio Devices)? If it does, then there should be no issue.
The answer to that one is, NO the device does NOT show up in the control panel, that IS the issue. And it's not the device: I installed the same device (without any hesitation or driver downloads) on a Dell laptop. The desktop I've got does not recognize the Uno just like the original poster is describing. So it has to be some sort of configuration in the computer that is preventing the recognition. The question is, WHAT???
August 2, 2007 @04:19pm
TechKnowledgy

BUMP!
I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. Last post asked:
Does the Midisport UNO device show up in the control panel(Sounds and Audio Devices)? If it does, then there should be no issue.
The answer to that one is, NO the device does NOT show up in the control panel, that IS the issue. And it's not the device: I installed the same device (without any hesitation or driver downloads) on a Dell laptop. The desktop I've got does not recognize the Uno just like the original poster is describing. So it has to be some sort of configuration in the computer that is preventing the recognition. The question is, WHAT???

Do you have any virus protection/firewall/spyware software enabled? Those can cause problems installing drivers and devices.
Do you even get the Windows sound that indicates that new hardware is connected when you plug into different USB ports? Does Windows attempt to load the drivers or give you any indication that new hardware is connected?
The Uno will work class-comliant (no drivers) and XP would identify it as "USB Audio Device"; do you see that anywhere (Device Manager or Control Panel for Default Device for MIDI Music Playback)?
I've heard mixed things about the native USB ports on dell's laptop. Do you have a USB expansion card to try?
You may want to contact M-Audio tech support for help with in depth troubleshooting.
August 2, 2007 @06:14pm
tomwhite56

Do you have any virus protection/firewall/spyware software enabled? Those can cause problems installing drivers and devices.
Do you even get the Windows sound that indicates that new hardware is connected when you plug into different USB ports? Does Windows attempt to load the drivers or give you any indication that new hardware is connected?
The Uno will work class-comliant (no drivers) and XP would identify it as "USB Audio Device"; do you see that anywhere (Device Manager or Control Panel for Default Device for MIDI Music Playback)?
I've heard mixed things about the native USB ports on dell's laptop. Do you have a USB expansion card to try?
You may want to contact M-Audio tech support for help with in depth troubleshooting.

I do have virus software running, didn't consider that, I can try that. I have a feeling that's not the issue thought because I did see the drivers actually install and Windows said the device is ready for use.
The problem is not on the Dell laptop. It's on my desktop. The device WORKS on the Dell laptop.
Tom
August 2, 2007 @06:19pm
tg77master

Unfortunately folks....per Yamaha and M-Audio, the Uno will not work with ANY Yamaha keyboards. I wish I had better news for you but this has been a known problem for quite some time.
August 2, 2007 @07:02pm
TechKnowledgy

Unfortunately folks....per Yamaha and M-Audio, the Uno will not work with ANY Yamaha keyboards. I wish I had better news for you but this has been a known problem for quite some time.

Actually, my roommate just sent his back to M-Audio and they exchanged it for a new Uno that's compatible with his Yamaha PSR. I guess they've fixed the compatibility issue, however, he couldn't just exchange for a new one at the store because there's no way distinguish them and since the "fix" or whatever is new, it's very likely that he'd have exchanged for the older version.
August 2, 2007 @09:02pm
itsplayed

Have you tried manually installing the drivers?
August 2, 2007 @10:19pm
tomwhite56

Hey guys, im using a yamaha keyboard, to plug into my computer, and its using a MIDIsport UNO MIDI to USB connector. It said that I would be able to use it like a MIDI controller like this, but it doesnt even pick up the stupid keyboard. What do I have to do, or whats wrong here? Any help appreciated. If theres anything else you have to know let me know.

I finally figured out a fix for this, and it had to do with my sound card. Here's instructions for what I did:
1. Make sure you have the drivers just in case.
2. Go into CONTROL PANEL/SYSTEM/HARDWARE/DEVICE MANAGER. On the VIEW menu, select VIEW BY CONNECTIONS. Under PCI bus, right click on your sound card and disbale it. Windows will ask for a restart. Connect your Uno device and restart.
3. Let the Uno device install.
4. Check the Sounds and audio devices under System in the control panel. The device shoudlnow be available, although the sound card will not be present.
5. Now go back per the instructions in 2. and enable the sound card. Everything should be ready to go now. Let me know if this works for you.
August 5, 2007 @03:08am
Cinemamet

Guys, I'm having problems with the Uno MidiSport USB as well. I'm trying to connect it via the Fatar Studiologic SL-161 keyboard to my Sony rb-30 pc but it won't recognize the midi input. It shows the USB as connecting as USB Audio Device and under Device Manager, but not under the MIDI playback section in Sounds. What is WMD Midi device mean? Please help!!! I've tried disabling the sound card as suggest above but that did not work. This midi device and keyboard works fine on my MacG5 which is not connected to the net so I don't believe it's a driver problem (but I did d/l the XP driver for Midisport).
November 14, 2007 @02:22am
TechKnowledgy

Have you tried all USB ports? It's likely an IRQ conflict with another device on the PC. Sometimes something as simple as swapping USB ports can work.
Disable your USB root hub power management as well.
November 14, 2007 @03:22pm
itsplayed

What app. are you using to record midi with?
November 14, 2007 @04:49pm
Cinemamet

I was able to get the USB recognized now. Thanks, guys. But I'm still having problems with sending midi data. I'm using Reason 2.0. On another forum, someone said that windows doesn't pick up on midi controllers when they are routed through an interface b/c the interfact bypasses the soundcard.
I don't seem to be able to connect my MIDI keyboard with Reason very competently. I am not sure which channel to select in the Preferences and since it bypasses the soundcard, how can I even listen to sample songs?
Appreciate some assistance. Thanks!!
November 20, 2007 @06:27am