0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 4

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

DAE Error -9073

shantsarian

When I playback my stereo audio track, it stops and I get the dreaded DAE Error -9073 message where it says "DAE can't get audio from the disks fast enough. Your disk may be too slow or fragmented. A firewire disk could be having trouble due to the extra firewire bandwith of CPU load."
I'm using a PC with Windows XP and Pro Tools 6.1 LE. I have 704 mb of RAM and 40GB of harddrive, 20GB of which is free. My Intel Celeron is 1.4 GHz.
I'm saving the audio to my harddrive, and I tried changing the Playback Engine settings. It seems that if I record in Mono, the error won't show up, but who knows if I let it play long enough. Also, I defragmented my harddrive and my Energy Saving preferences are all set to "Never."
Please help me!!!!
February 20, 2007 @10:54pm
howie15

Couple different things could be at work here. Your processor just isn't keeping up with the number of tracks and effects your running. The celeron is a fairly weak processor for running applications like ProTools so if it's pushed it may just freak out....especially since....you're using your system drive as a recording drive. ProTools doesn't like this. Get yourself an external firewire drive to take a bit of weight off the system drive, especially with only 20 gigs left. That won't take long to use up. You said you changed some Playback settings, so I'm assuming you already experimented with differing the playback buffer settings. Lastly, you mentioned when you record in Mono, things aren't as bad. I would recommend recording in mono for almost all tracks unless you are using a stereo mic or going straight in from a keyboard or a stereo source.
Howie J
February 21, 2007 @03:19am
tech1

DAE -9073 is a general hard drive bandwidth error. Two more suggestions on top of these good ones:
- Mke sure it's XP Home or Professional. Also, Pro Tools 6.1 will not work with Service Pack 2, so double-check in System Properties that you have SP1.
- Follow the optimizations in the PC Optimization Guide in the resource center at the top of the page.
February 21, 2007 @02:48pm
shantsarian

Thanks so much. I'll look into getting an external drive.
I checked and I have XP Home, but it is SP2. I've noticed in other posts that this causes a problem with Pro Tools. What should I do to remedy this???? And for the sake of knowing, would an older edition like 5.3 work with SP2?
Thanks!
February 22, 2007 @05:17am
tech1

The earliest version of Pro Tools that is qualified with SP2 is 6.4cs9. All previous versions will NOT function properly under SP2. You can either update to 6.4cs9 through Digi's website, or uninstall SP2.
February 22, 2007 @02:39pm
shantsarian

How would you go about about removing SP2 for SP1? And what ramafications does this have for the operation of the rest of my computer?
Thanks.
February 22, 2007 @06:44pm
tech1

If it was installed separately, it will appear in your Add/Remove Programs Control panel. if the install of Windows has SP2 built in, you can't remove it. Ramifications for other software will vary title by title. If you have any specific questions about a prticular title's requirements, it's best to refer to the manufacturer's website.
February 22, 2007 @09:36pm