0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Spring Clearance

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Mic. Input to guitar amp

TACAMO

I heard that if you plug a mic. into a guitar amp you can Blow the amp. I this true?
December 31, 2006 @06:41pm
AndyH

I can't think of any reason that would happen, but I've never played with a guitar amplifier, so I can't guarantee something strange might not happen. However, it isn't very likely that you could do anything worthwhile that way either, unless there is also a microphone preamp in the box. The requirements for a guitar and a microphone to function are not the same.
December 31, 2006 @08:48pm
87PRS

tacamo, a guitar amp won't blow up using a mic unless you get it to feedback, rumble and leave it unattended, this will create so much noise you'll probably turn the volume down before it "explodes"
use a high impendance mic, with 1/4" plug-in, we did this all the time in the sixties....
January 1, 2007 @09:08am
eedre

no problem with plugging in a mic to a guitar amp. used to do it all the time when PAs were scarce and voice quality didn't matter (highschool jam band) just don't plug a bass into it:D
January 20, 2007 @07:06pm