0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound - 3 days left

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Corrupt wav file repair - help

ukidnme

I was recording an interview directly to laptop pc and was nearly done when the computer shut down prematurely. The interview file is on the hard drive with data in it, but my programs won't open it. Is there a utility that could repair the WAV file and allow me to work with it again? Any other suggestions how to repair and recover my work?
November 14, 2006 @02:15pm
AndyH

Does this file have a .wav extension? If not, putting the correct extension may allow a program to open it.
If it is .wav already, opening it as PCM Raw Data may work. I'm only famaliar with this in CoolEdit/Audition but it may be common to most audio editors. Using this approach, the program will ask you for file parameters, such as sample rate, bit depth, number of channels, and data format. You may have to change the extension to .pcm first to use this approach but I'm not certain that is necessary.
November 14, 2006 @08:59pm
martin armsby

A similar problem was just reported on the Samplitude forum.
'Import as Dump' cured that one.....
Cheers
M
November 14, 2006 @09:14pm
ukidnme

Thanks for the replies AndyH and martin armsby. Your suggestions got me going in the correct direction. I did recover the audio file. The solution I found was by downloading Audacity freeware. Audacity has an "Import Raw" function that allowed me to open the file. I was then able to save it as a .wav file under a new name with a proper header.
Thanks again.
November 20, 2006 @04:04pm
a3_1415926536

I have discovered that the VLC media player will play almost anything. It is a free open-source program. The drawback is that the program will not allow you to save as a new file. What I did is play the file in the VLC player and rerecorded it in my editing software. It is available for mac, windows and various mutations of linux.
You can find it at:
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
Hope this helps someone.
September 28, 2009 @04:39pm
robdodman

Hi All ,
I have a voice recording I recorded using my cell phone N96. It is important to me. But I cannot play it. I copied it to the computer and tried several players ..but had no joy. I don't know anything about audio editing.. Can someone help please! By the way this is a wav file.
January 14, 2010 @12:56am
kope

There are different kinds of wav files. Use some converter to convert this file to common wav format 44.1 KHz 16 bit.
January 14, 2010 @07:54am
robdodman

I have managed to open and play the file using but all I hear is repeated noises. Not what I have recorded. I know the data is there i just can't access it. Any ideas?
January 15, 2010 @10:14am
audioaddictz

i just tryed the audacity fix with a 5 hour dj set recorded in nuendo , leccy went off before it got saved
when i try the import option in audacity i just get 5 hours of static
any ideas
February 25, 2010 @06:57pm
robertruetz

What format is it "saved" in (wav, mp3, etc)? Also, how big is the file?
You can try changing the extension to .raw and attempting to import it that way. It sometimes works. Note that if your file is over 4Gb long, you might run into some trouble.
Rob
February 25, 2010 @07:00pm
audioaddictz

the nuendo project was set up to record at 44khz 24bit
that is also what the property's on the wav file report
the file is 4.3gb
not tryed to rename it yet
February 25, 2010 @07:15pm
audioaddictz

renaming as raw made no diffrence still ended up with 5 hours of white noise
February 25, 2010 @07:41pm
parking sun

@audioaddictz, if you are doing what ukidnme suggests, you should have got a dialog box that gives you some settings to play with. You probably want to experiment with "start offset" and set it to either 1 or 2 bytes - otherwise the importer will get the boundaries between adjacent samples wrong, which means you'll have noise. You'll still need to trim of some noise at the very start, mind you.
March 2, 2010 @09:57pm
audioaddictz

thank you i will try that out as soon as i get back to the studio
im away atm
will try it this weekend and let you know how it goes
thanks for your help i really hope this works :)
March 2, 2010 @11:03pm
audioaddictz

Thank you so much , it worked perfectly
set the offset to 2 and everything came back
you are a star
:)
March 5, 2010 @01:54pm