0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Presidents' Day Sale!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Soundelux U99

Stanklanta

How is this microphone? I've heard good things about it. Dont really like the look of it though.
July 19, 2003 @07:23pm
NathanEldred

The U99 is a wonderful microphone, great cosmetics or not. However, you should be aware of it's overall general frequency response which tends to lean more towards an airy top and high mid. It's a smooth musically pleasing peak, but never the less if you want to use it on a source that requires a more neutral frequency response, the U99 will not be the best first choice. Of the Soundelux line, the iFET7 and the E47 are probably the two most benign, with the ELUX and U195 following suite for more utility usage.
Nathan Eldred
July 19, 2003 @07:35pm
Stanklanta

I rent a refurbished U67 for almost all my vocals. Its my favorite mic and the tone that i'm looking for. I would get a U67 but wary of the maintenance issues. What would you suggest that could come close.
Thanks
Scott
July 20, 2003 @12:09am
MSR74

Have you looked at an Audio Technica 4060? I think it sounds soimilar to a U67 and would not be anything to maintain. Sounds great too with a rounder sound than the U67....It gives a gentle frequency rise from 5k to 10k.
Good Luck...
Mickey
August 11, 2003 @11:17pm
michaelhoddy

The 4060 isn't even close to the U67 sonically. It's much more neutral, with less top-end boost, low-end warmth, and color in general. This isn't to suggest that the 4060 isn't a great mic, because it is a very nice mic, but if you get one looking for it to sound like a U67, you'll be very disappointed.
The Soundelux U99 is probably the closest thing to a U67 out there in the current new market.
August 12, 2003 @12:37am
MSR74

Actually Michael you are right...I didn't listen closely enough. There are those differences. Sorry for the misleading info...
Mickey
August 12, 2003 @10:08am
Stanklanta

I didn't think the AT4060 was close to the tone either. Michael, what to your ears, would be the sonic differences between the U99 and the U67? What I love about the U67 is that I have yet to de-ess in mixdown and the natural tone without the hi-fi lipsmack sounds and what not that annoy me to death (U87 and the like).
Thanks!
Scott
August 14, 2003 @10:26pm
michaelhoddy

Honestly, it's somewhat hard to nail that one down, because the sound variances between different U67s are so wide. For the character and tone of what many people would consider a "good" or typical U67, I think the U99 is spot on. For most people, that's good. For some people, a particular U67 might sound better to their ears, but it wouldn't be a representative U67, if you get my drift.
Pick one up from a dealer which will allow you to return it if you don't like it. I'm not sure what Sweetwater's policy is on this, but I know that companies like Mercenary Audio do have this policy. That way, you can make an authoritative decision for yourself.
If the U99 doesn't work for you, have you tried a Neumann M149? I think you might like it.
August 15, 2003 @04:03am
Stanklanta

I've used the 149 alot actually. Here at Stankonia, it's the preferred mic for Rap and some R&B but i'm not a fan of it. To me it doesn't sound very natural. I don't like the way Rap vocals sound on it. R&B is good. wouldn't use it for rock. I think i might try the U99 against the U67 im using and see if sounds as good (or better). I was also thinking about Lawson mics.
hmmmmm....gold plated mics?
August 15, 2003 @08:03pm