0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

How do you connect the microphone to the stand?

cool skill

I did not think it would be this complicateted, but I got the item with no instructions.

I figure the mount can be screwed onto the stand. And I'm trying to figure out how to put the microphone into the mount.
I have no idea what that small black thing is for.
Can anybody help?
March 25, 2006 @03:43pm
cool skill

I think I figured out how to insert the mic.
You have to squeeze in both of the metal things on the clamp so the hole opens.
Then you screw the mount into the stand.
But not sure what the black clamp is for.
March 25, 2006 @04:04pm
dcwave

the black clamp screws onto the stand and the the mic screws into it (unscrew the ring at the bottom of the mic first)
March 25, 2006 @08:04pm
cool skill

Thanks!
I was confused about how that black clamp attached to the mic.
But what is it for? It seems only the mount can screw onto the stand. What can the black clamp be used for?
This microphone came with supposed instructions, but nothing in the pamphlet gives a single detail about how to hook up the microphone.
March 27, 2006 @12:51pm
mrmorpheoso

yeah I bought a mic and it had a metal clamp on the inside of it. I almost sent it back to the store. I got a butter knife to get that damn thing out and it was okay. hopefully that's the biggest problem that you have to deal with in your recordings LOL :D
March 27, 2006 @09:55pm
GZsound

Unscrew the nut at the bottom of the mic. Set it into the black plastic mic holder, screw the bottom nut back on....after you have screwed the black plastic mic holder to your stand, of course.
If you don't need the black plastic mic holder you could send it to me. I had a client call me today that kicked her mic off her desk (records psychobabble sessions) and broke the plastic mic holder.
I bought the MXL set with the small condenser mic in it and didn't get the shock mount. I need that mic clip...
March 28, 2006 @07:27am
cool skill

I guess that you cannot use the black thing or the shock mount at the same time.
You have to connect the mic to either one or the other.
I guess they have 2 separate connections because some people do not want to use a shockmount, or maybe want to use something else.
March 28, 2006 @11:06am
GZsound

You are correct. They supplied two microphone holders. A solid mount and a shock mount. You cannot use them both at the same time.
March 28, 2006 @04:26pm
cool skill

Thanks!
Thanks for the advice about the AT2020 btw.
I went with the MXL990 because it also had alot of great reviews, plus it was $30 less, and came with a shockmount. The shockmount for the AT2020, is about $50. So all in all, I spend $80 less for a mic that turned out to be really great.
March 29, 2006 @05:31pm
Loftyideals

In the studio you will want the suspension shockmount (the large one) to avoid sound transferrence through the stand. ie musicians tapping their feet etc.
The small one is for stage applications where the mic may be moved during the performance! If you pick up the mic stand and move it a lot while it's in the suspension mount it can fall out of the elastic suspension!
Cheers, The Brit. :)
March 29, 2006 @10:01pm
cool skill

OK thanks!
I was wondering about what the point would be for a solid mount.
And thanks for the advice about not moving the mic stand around alot and the possibility of the mic falling off.
Good advice!
March 29, 2006 @10:52pm
dcwave

I know the MLX990 is actually a small condensor capsule, (medium at best - 6 micron 20mm gold sputtered diaghragm); does anyone know if the AT 2020 is actually a large condensor capsle? AT doesn't post the cap size on their spec sheet or web site.
March 29, 2006 @11:12pm
cool skill

I was considering the AT2020 thanks to the recommendation in the other forum.
It is $100 plus I believe $50 for the shockmount, so $150 for both.
I paid $70 for the mxl990 set with the case, shockmount, and solid mount.
I think it was worth saving $80 for all this. Plus, although the AT2020 came highly recommended, I had heard of alot of great recommendations for the MXL990. I've been using it now for the past few days, and it sounds great.
March 29, 2006 @11:25pm
87PRS

this is kind of an ol' thread, but I just ran across it and had to put my 2cents in, I have an MXL990 that I bought online/sale for $25 and it really surprised me on the quality of sound it reproduces, plus the two mic clips and a case are great for the money, I've ran it through 3 different mic pres with good results, plus I used it for a kick mic (5 years ago) before I got my beta52, just blows my mind on how cheap some good gear can be these days if you look around.:)
April 14, 2006 @11:07am
cool skill

Your comment means alot to me because it solidifies my contentment with the mic that I chose. Where did you get it for $25? I apyed $70.
I have a question about maintenance. Is it ok if I keep the mic/shockmoun the mic on the stand perhaps with a cloth over it for dust. Or should take it off, and store it in the case.
It would sort of be convenient for me to to keep it at bay as I use it as a computer mic as well for online conversations.
The other party is always amazed at how clear my voice is.
BTW, if anybody is on googletalk, feel free to link me up. caliditta@google.com.
There was another thing with the shockmount. I'm very careful with it because the strings can come loose. It happened before, and I just set them back in place. Is it bad if they come loose?
April 14, 2006 @01:45pm