rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

How to trigger other midi devices??

steingra

Hi
I have one final question that I have been dying to get an answer to, and now that I found this forum, I am hoping someone might know : )
What I would like to do is this:
I have a Yamaha DTXpress II eDrum kit, I would like to find out if (1) can I program one of the pads on this drumkit, to play another MIDI device that is hooked up to it. (I guess something like a sound module, or even a MIDI keyboard for that matter)
And if so, how would I do it?
My very basic understanding of MIDI, tells me I can do stuff like this, but I have no experience with it. If I can somehow tell the edrum pad to send a MIDI note to another device, on a certain channel/track, and then have that device respond by playing its associated 'note/sound'
That sounds like fun to me : )
Or what if I had 2 other devices hooked/chained together via MIDI cables.
Thanks for any input on this subject.
June 21, 2003 @12:55pm
mpcpro

Originally posted by steingra
Hi
I have one final question that I have been dying to get an answer to, and now that I found this forum, I am hoping someone might know : )
What I would like to do is this:
I have a Yamaha DTXpress II eDrum kit, I would like to find out if (1) can I program one of the pads on this drumkit, to play another MIDI device that is hooked up to it. (I guess something like a sound module, or even a MIDI keyboard for that matter)
And if so, how would I do it?
My very basic understanding of MIDI, tells me I can do stuff like this, but I have no experience with it. If I can somehow tell the edrum pad to send a MIDI note to another device, on a certain channel/track, and then have that device respond by playing its associated 'note/sound'
That sounds like fun to me : )
Or what if I had 2 other devices hooked/chained together via MIDI cables.
Thanks for any input on this subject.

Your understanding is correct. Now you just need to crack open that manuel (I know it hurts !) and see how to configure your gear. The basic idea is that you would run a cable from the midi OUT of the controller device (Drum kit) to the midi IN of the slave device. Then you can assign a midi channel (example, Channel 1) from your kit to a midi channel on the slave device(example, Channel1) and control the patch assigned to channel 1 on the slave device from your controller.
June 21, 2003 @04:24pm