We Love Gear Sale
Sweetwater Forums

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Cubase SX 2.2 & SoundBlaster Audigy ZS Pro. ASIO Driver

KeyMix

I know this may be more of a Creative Labs Question, but I have not received any response from their support so I figured I would try the experts here.....
I am using Cubase SX 2.2 and the SoundBlaster Audigy ZS Pro. I need to gain a better understanding of the differences between the three Creative ASIO drivers that Cubase SX 2.2 recognizes. They are as follows:
Creative ASIO - [Cubase sets default sample rate at 48KHz ]
SB Audigy 2 ZS ASIO 24/96 (B800) [ Cubase sets default sample rate at 96KHz]
SB Audigy 2 ZS ASIO [Cubase sets default sample rate at 48KHz ]
I can understand that the 24/96 ASIO driver supports 24 bit@96KHz recording. I am not sure what the differences are between Creative ASIO & SB Audigy 2 ZS ASIO. I have read other related post on this subject and it was stated that the Creative ASIO is the older 16 bit ASIO driver, but I noticed something interesting in relation to the input devices that Cubase SX 2.2 sees between the three are quite different, but it's opposite of what you might imagine.
Here are the details:
For Both Creative ASIO & SB Audigy 2 ZS ASIO, Cubase SX2.2 lists the following inputs:
Line in 1 / MIC L & R, Line in 2 L & R, Line in 3 L & R, SPDIF IN L & R
and then the strange...MIX L & R, MIX FL & FR, MIX RL & RR, MIX FC, MIX LFE (???), MIX RC ( twice), MIX SL & SR
No OPTICAL??
For the SB Audigy 2 ZS ASIO 24/96, Cubase SX2.2 lists the following inputs:
Line in 1 / MIC L & R, Line in 2 L & R, Line in 3 L & R
No SPDIF or OPTICAL??
I assume the MIX inputs are for the Dolby Digital Bus Mixers in Cubase to be able to send outputs directly to the Surround Channels?
I set the Latency all the way down to 2ms for each driver. Currently I am achieving a Input of 3.042ms & Output of 2.00ms w/ the 24/96KHz & w/ the other two I am achieving a Input of 4.083ms & Output of 2.00ms. Not sure why the difference??
I'd really like to gain an understanding or be directed to some documentation (Audigy Manuals lack in this detail) to help explain these differences and understand why the 24/96 driver wouldn't list the same inputs if it's the same card. Is this just a bug? Any updates to fix?
Sorry for the long post, but I felt if I should this detail I may get some good insight to from yall experts out there.
ANY Help will be greatly appreciated!!
THX,
KeyMix
January 8, 2005 @03:46pm
MrM

Perhaps you should buy a real soundcard?
(not a soundblaster)
January 8, 2005 @04:15pm
KeyMix

Why is it that wheneve someone asks a question that has NOTHING to do with the product.. People are always trying to put down the product. There's NOTHING wrong with the card. It works great for my personal use and best fits my family's overall usage.
If you would spend as much time as you to bashing every non professional card owner's question actually answering the ? , then maybe your comments would be worth while.
There's plenty of pro cards that have driver issues and support issues as well. Luckily, at work we deal with a different group for support.
Thanks for nothing.
January 8, 2005 @04:51pm
itsplayed

You may want to consider using KX drivers instead, that is if there available for the version card you have. Check here: http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?skip=1
-Steve
January 9, 2005 @11:15pm
jpw23

Sound blaster( creative ) was one of the first real sound cards on the market, they were great for gaming and digital recording was several years away for the average consumer. I'm not sure what your problem is....and I'm sorry that I can't be of more help but, I support the fact that this a good card and probably will suit your needs as far as family entertainment goes. Sometimes people forget that we all do not need the biggest and the best......just something that suits your needs......like my old 1987 jeep commanche....had her for years....like an old friend!
January 10, 2005 @12:16am
KeyMix

Thanks JP. It's just a bit frustrating some times. Basically, I was really just seeing if anyone had a better understanding of the ASIO drivers for the ZS Pro. Cubase sees the different drivers with different options. See me original post. I am also trying to get some information for Creative also.
January 10, 2005 @01:39am
itsplayed

You should'nt be showing more than one set of ASIO(48Khz) drivers for that card. My guess, is that the driver set is still installed from an older,previous Sound Blaster you had installed. Hence the conflict within Cubase. Did you completely uninstall your previous sound card(all of it's drivers) before installing the Audigy? This is a must and the manual should have directed you to do so.
January 10, 2005 @06:02am
KeyMix

Thanks ITplayed..
I've only had the Audigy in this computer. I did remove ALL drivers during some initial troubleshooting and reinstalled the drivers. Everything works correctly, but it just doesn't make since why there's differences between the drivers. I agree with what you're saying.. Maybe when I upgrade the drivers via the WebUpdate. It's simply adding the newer drivers instead of replacing??
Thanks though!!
January 12, 2005 @03:03am
itsplayed

You say that you uninstalled all drivers, did you do this through the device manager? That is where you need to do it. If you did then I'd try uninstalling everything again , all drivers , including Cubase , everthing. Reboot computer several times then reinstall the Audigy. then reinstall Cubase.There's no way that you should be showing multiple ASIO drivers. also when updating via the web don't allow for automatic updating. Manualy search for updates for your card and install that way. I allowed this once for my SBLive and started to have issues, going back a ways. Although for recording your definately much better off using the KXProject ASIO drivers if there available for your Sound Blaster card.
January 12, 2005 @03:17am
KeyMix

I wanted to give an update to this post. I've been working with Creative's Advanced Tech Support for clear definitions on the Creative ASIO and the input and output definitions of each. I will post a complete update to save any other user the time spent. It most likely will be more under the hardware forum v/s the Steinberg due to this really being a Creative Card issue not any thing related to CUBASE. Any program that uses ASIO will define the cards input and outputs the same. Stay tuned... I am close to getting answers.
February 10, 2005 @03:32am
Close Close $6,000 Mackie PA System Giveaway -- input your email address below to enter or click here to learn more.

See giveaway details & rules or check out our past winners!

Success!

Your email, test has been entered to win this giveaway. Good Luck!