0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
February Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Mackie CFX-12 Mixer

Spitfire

I just bought a mackie cfx-12 channel live sound mixer http://www.mackie.com/products/cfx12/index.html
I have the following equipment bi-amped:
1 - Crown CE1000 Power Amp
1 - Crown XLS602 Power Amp
1 - Rane MM 8z Mojo Mixer
1 - Denon DN-D9000 Dual Pro CD Player
1 - Pair JBL EON 1500 Passive 2-Way Speakers
1 - Pair Cerwin Vega SUB 15 Passive Subwoofers
1 - DBX Stereo 2-Way/Mono 3-Way Crossover
1 - Rane ME15B Equalizer
1 - BBE 482 Sonic Maximizer
2 - Technics SL-1210MK2 Turntables
My question is: How do i hook my rane mm8z mojo dj mixer http://www.rane.com/mm8z.html to my mackie live sound mixer, so i can use both mixers @ the same, therefore i can use my cd player & turntables ??? or vice versa
Btw: The inputs from rane equalizer are going to the main outputs (balanced) on the rane dj mixer.
Thanks for the help people :)
November 6, 2004 @06:14pm
Joe Hannigan

Use the Mackie as the main mixer for everything, including all feeds to the crossover, PA, etc.
Take the main outs (stereo, balanced) on the back of your RANE mixer and run it into the last 2 channels (11 and 12) of the Mackie. (The last two faders/four channels are stereo pairs, if I"m not mistaken) They're also balanced, too.
The RANE will be a "Sub" mixer, feeding line level out to the line level in on the Mackie's ch 11 and 12.
Mackie will be your main feed to the PA, monitors, etc.
Unless I missed something in your question, it's pretty easy to do, and makes your signal path nice and orderly.
November 6, 2004 @08:49pm
Spitfire

Originally posted by Joe Hannigan
Use the Mackie as the main mixer for everything, including all feeds to the crossover, PA, etc.
Take the main outs (stereo, balanced) on the back of your RANE mixer and run it into the last 2 channels (11 and 12) of the Mackie. (The last two faders/four channels are stereo pairs, if I"m not mistaken) They're also balanced, too.
The RANE will be a "Sub" mixer, feeding line level out to the line level in on the Mackie's ch 11 and 12.
Mackie will be your main feed to the PA, monitors, etc.
Unless I missed something in your question, it's pretty easy to do, and makes your signal path nice and orderly.

But if i take 1/4" main outs from the rane mixer and plug them into the mackie's ch. 11 & 12. How do i get the cd play & the turntables to work?
This is what a tech @ rane told me:
I suggest using the 1/4" master outputs of the MM8z and connect them to Line Input 1 (for left) and Line Input 2 (for right) on the Mackie OR use the L&R Tape Out of the MM8z and connect them to the L&R Tape Inputs of the Mackie mixer.
You can absolutely use your CD players and turntables, while using the Tape Out. The biggest difference between the Master and tape outputs is the master outs are balanced and the tape outs are unbalanced. I suggest using the balanced outputs, if possible, especially for long cable runs. The balanced outputs will also have a hotter signal (+4dBu) than the unbalanced outputs (-10dBv), but both will work in the same way.
November 8, 2004 @05:18pm
Joe Hannigan

I don't understand whatever it is that you don't understand......... The Rane tech is essentially telling you the same thing, only using CH. 1 & 2 instead of 11 and 12. (???) I choose 11 and 12 because they are the first ones AFTER the single input mic channels. (If i'm not mistaken in the layout, 11 and 12 are two separate 1/4" TRS jackes, but are ganged together on one fader, so this makes more sense, IMHO to run the whole RANE submix into the Mackie using ONE channel fader, but controlling a stereo feed from the RANE..
You can use the Tape in feature, too, but with less control over it, and you can't route that signal to effects, aux's, etc.
Still not clear?
November 8, 2004 @09:22pm
Spitfire

I got it.. thanks for the help :)
November 9, 2004 @10:38pm
BLINDJONI

Beware, the CFX series is the lowest of the low that Mackie makes..limited headroom..you must assign through the sub groups..more limited headroom..the FX processor is easily overloaded..good luck.
November 12, 2004 @07:02pm
jpw23

I don't think that the cfx series will be a detriment to the average dj type. It will probably be a vast improvement over the gemini stuff they are forced to work with.........inputting a cd deck and other peripherals should be no problem at all.......the cfx series would only be a handicap in a top dog studio and would not be considered to begin with. Opinions on equipment I think would always be welcome but, one needs to take into consideration what the equipment is being used for before you slam said equipment. Its easy to put down gear when you may a fatter wallet than someone else..........Spitfire submitted a thread on what mixer to buy in his or her price range some time back and has made an educated decision to buy this equipment......to come in after the fact and then warn someone about the pitfalls of something they have just laid down a lot of money for , is a non productive and sensless act..........be supportive and give advice on how best to use this equipment instead of finding fault.
Sorry folks.....sometimes I get on my soapbox about things!
November 13, 2004 @04:53am
Joe Hannigan

I've got your back, J.P. ;-)
The right tools for the right job, indeed...
November 13, 2004 @05:16am
BLINDJONI

Originally posted by jpw23
Its easy to put down gear when you may a fatter wallet than someone else..........Spitfire submitted a thread on what mixer to buy in his or her price range some time back and has made an educated decision to buy this equipment......to come in after the fact and then warn someone about the pitfalls of something they have just laid down a lot of money for , is a non productive and sensless act..........be supportive and give advice on how best to use this equipment instead of finding fault.
Sorry folks.....sometimes I get on my soapbox about things!

I was commenting on a unit I ahve experience with..and for the money there is much better but I only offered warnings so that he may get the best performance from what he has. Would it not be important to know that a truck you already bought has a history of rollover before you attempt offroad activity?
November 13, 2004 @04:15pm
Joe Hannigan

he wanted to know how to patch his RANE mixer into the Mackie he already owns.
For the kind of tools a DJ USED to be stuck with, the Mackie is huge leap forward. Sure, not nec. what you'd want in a pro studio, but at a Saturday night wedding reception or dance party, I'd be glad to see one in use.
And no one will die in a rollover in this case. ;-)
November 13, 2004 @07:22pm