0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

What is the most important piece of gear in your studio? (06-15-01)

SweetwaterSound

"OK, OK... Of course the most important thing is the
artist's performance; we know that each recording is also
affected by mic placement, room size, sobriety of the lead
guitarist, etc. We'd like to get beyond this to the real meat &
potatoes of your studio setup. So, what is the 'cornerstone' of
your signal chain?"
July 6, 2001 @02:47pm
Unregistered

The chair
July 6, 2001 @04:33pm
Unregistered

Hands down, MICROPHONES!!! I've often thought of the microphone as the electronic ear to the of the recording process. If it ain't happenin' at the mic, it ain't happenin'. That's my 2 cents. Of course we could talk for days about mic placement....................................
July 6, 2001 @04:34pm
Unregistered

We're off to a great start - thanks for the responses!
We'd really like to know exactly the specific piece of gear you rely on most - if your most important piece of gear is a microphone, which one? Which model?
Unregistered

I would have to saw that my DAW has been the upgrade from a POS garage, to a decent garage studio that has made the most difference. I am using a Digi001 on an Athlon TB 800 System built around an Asus A7V Motherboard. (support for 8 EIDE devices, is great!)
Close second would be my drum mics, an AKG Emotion 5-pack drum mic kit, and a Shure sm-57 for the snare
However all of the above wouldn't be worth @!#$ without my wonderful little workhorse, a Mackie CFX 12 mixer.
Perhaps I should say that the DAW is the crowning glory, the mixer is the cornerstone, and the Mics hold everything up/together
For the record, digidesign does not officially support Athlon based DAW's many people have made it work very well, and I have heard of some very interesting things about 200 or so effects on an Athlon 1.33 Ghz system with PC2100 Ram
(In case you can't tell, I'm more of a computer junkie than a musician, but I have gotten myself in with a band where one of the guitarists has that so called Golden ear. He kind of mixes by trial and error, but since we have too solid reference platforms, My Event 20/20 Bas monitor pair, and his Pontiac Grand Am, with three high quality amps, stereo front, stereo rear, and bridged Subwoofer, Our mixes turn out pretty good.)
check www.highpotencymusic.com for mp3's (please note, those ones suck cuz they predated the new drum mics, we are working on redoing them now, should have new versions up soon
Unregistered

For working ease, protools has changed the way I can make records more than anything else. For MY sound my manley preamp and my ursa major stargate 323 reverb define my sound.
Frost
July 6, 2001 @04:38pm
Unregistered

By far and away... its the Monitors. Mine are Genelec 1031As.
After that its the Dual Cascaded O2Rs, they are stacked with 16 extra digital and 16 extra analog that's 80 pristine channels.
ASM gear with Access Virus, Jomox Xbase09, Jp-8080, 2 MC505s
Triggering devices include PRS Custom with hex pick-ups into the AXON100B - neurologic pitch converter.
DSP incl. Lex PCM 80 and LXP series, plus ultra harmonizer
DAW is a LAN trio of 1.1 GB Pen IIIs each with 512 MB DRAM and DUAL removable HDS in a raid array The HD move at 7200 rips and are 100 ATAs,
LAN is via 10/100 ether cards and a PPPoE WAN on ADSL. with SOHO hub
Environment is Wavelab 3.1 for premaster, N-Tracks 24/96 for monitor and the soundcards are one LynxONe 24/96, and M-Audio 2496 X 2.
Back up monitors are Mackie Studio Ref
and Notable mention is my VHT Master amp for the axe rig.
Took me 30 years to put this one together.
Chrismar.
July 6, 2001 @05:33pm
Unregistered

Time, money, energy, knowledge, desire and vision (or is that vision for the ears...oh well) I realize this isn't what you guys really want in an answer but hey...can you argue much about these?
July 6, 2001 @05:34pm
Unregistered

what about the event PS6 monitors? i've read that a veteran mixer used these to mix a record that won for best sounding record. whats even more amazing is that he's never used them before! it could be that he really knew his studio and was just too good to mix a bad a record... who knows. email me and tell me what you think. i'm putting together a digital studio so i need advice!
- j a s o n
tragicar@mail.com
July 6, 2001 @05:35pm
Unregistered

can anyone tell me if the Shure KSM44 multi-pattern condeser is a good buy for someone with very limited funds? much of our record with be direct line guitars and synthetics, but nearly everything mic'd will be done with one good mic and i've heard this is the one for that application. also, the omni pattern sounds distinctly different from the cardoid setting and is best suited for acoustic guitars and drums... this will keep a build up of primary frequencies from occurring. the preamp unit i've finally arrived at is the HHB Radius 10. this all tube British god-send will keep things very alive for the transfer to 24/88.2 by the MOTU 1296. let me know if you have any suggestions. i'm very young and inexperienced so i need your help.
- j a s o n
tragicar@mail.com
July 6, 2001 @05:35pm
Unregistered

Has to be my Spendor-200 Monitors in cunjunction with the Sunfire sub. For creativity, it gots to be the Parker Midifly, connected to lots of neat sound-making things, of course!
July 6, 2001 @05:36pm
Unregistered

A good pre amp.With a good pre amp I can use a crappy guitar,amp,P.A.and monitors,or not use a amp at all,just plug right in to a P.A. Shape my sound pull off a good sounding show/recording.what ever.I use the Johnson J-station with the J-8 foot swich.There are outhers that work as well,but I like the way the foot switch works for me.I also like the portability.I got to say I an't s#*t with out it.There pretty cheep now too,I going to set up my bass player with the same rig as mine.Thay work well for basses to.Good luck$$$$
July 6, 2001 @05:37pm
Unregistered

My computer, because it does all the recording, mixing, mastering, with various pieces of software. It's not irreplacable, but life would be intolerable without it.
Unregistered

The Mixer. That is the heart of it all. Without a good, solid, flexible mixer there would be no great studios; large or small.
May Peace be our guide...
TK Turbo, JSPS
TKTurbo@mac.com
TKTurboII@yahoo.com
TKTurbo@earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~tkturbo
Unregistered

I would have to say that currently it's my Line 6 POD. I live and record in a small apartment with thin walls, aging neighbors, and militant cops. I can't stress enough the importance of... that's right, LOW VOLUME RECORDING. The POD has truly enabled me to get some very incredible, complex guitar (and bass) tones with little effort, little noise, and no summons to court.Sweetwater inSync Team wrote: