rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Recording my first CD

dannymacc

I'm teaching brand new class here at school called Sound Tech. I can teach quite a bit about sound systems, but I need to teach recording techniques. I know it's a broad topic, but can anyone point me to some good resources or share some of your wisdom? Next month, I have to start recording a Christmas CD of band and choir music. I also want to teach my class about recording techniques. Additionally, do I need to take special precautions for mastering? I'll be using a Sony 4-track mini-data disc recorder. TIA.
Danny
September 14, 2001 @09:00pm
recordingpro

cool! what kind of class? (high school, college, etc..)
There are lots of tips and tricks out there. By reading through some of the threads on this page you will find some great tips for mixing, getting good levels etc. We'd also invite you to pose any specific questions you have, such as telling us what mics, preamps, etc you have to work with, and what you want to record....there are a lot of professionals up here like myself, that are more than happy to take time to help.
also, Sweetwater carries some good books that cover the basics. you can contact me directly if you wish, and I'll be happy to tell you about some of the books that we carry. There are also some places such as mixonline.com, where there is a link to a great online book store for music industry related material.
Looking forward to helping any way that we can!
September 14, 2001 @10:30pm
dannymacc

The sound tech class is for high school students.
Gear: 5 Shure Beta-58's, 3 AT something's (hypercardioid condenser), 4 Audix OM-3x?, 1 Audix OM-5, 2 AKG C1000S's. Mackie 24-4 board, Sony MTX(?) 4 track minidata disc recorder, Sabine Power-Q, Alesis Midiverb effects.
Subject: We need to record choir, concert band, and jazz band.
Danny
September 20, 2001 @01:19am
Scott Gould

By all means call Sweetwater & talk to them about books - Home Recording for Musicians is a good one, but there are many others. I see 3 problems with the gear you have:
1) you need a mixdown deck (DAT or stand alone CD recorder - unless you can mix to a computer)
2) you need a compressor (FMR's Really Nice Compressor would be ideal - Alesis Nanocompressor will do)
3) you need a better multitrack recorder, minidisk recorders use ATRAC data compression (NOT the same as audio compression) which "throws away" a lot of audio data to fit it on the disc - in other words, it is less than CD quality
You can certainly rectify these deficiencies for under $1000 (hint - you can use 2 tracks of an 8 track HD recorder as a "virtual mixdown deck" while the other 6 contain the raw tracks)
September 24, 2001 @07:06am
dannymacc

I do have a Sabine Power-Q with a compressor in it as well as a stand-alond dbx compressor. Is this what you're talking about? Bummer on the minidisc. I'll have to see what else I can come up with. Can anyone point me to a forum discussing HD recording to Mac or PC?
September 26, 2001 @12:38pm
blacko3788

Hey buddy,
Ditch the minidisk recorder!!! You might want to post in on Sweetwaters trading post...lol...Somebody that wants a cheep recorder might buy it for their teenager. Why don't you look into PC recording, I assume that you have PCs at the high school. You can use programs + hardware from Digidesign, Motu, Gina, advark, or even yamaha dsp factory....all around or just over the $1000.00 mark.
September 26, 2001 @04:36pm