0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

best vocal doubler?

cherryon

I need a vocal doubler, can anyone offer up a good one, that's natural sounding? The last one we tried was spinaudio 3D delay, but it distorts the voice while it doubles...
[This message has been edited by cherryon (edited 07-30-2002).]
July 28, 2002 @06:40pm
me ole trout

yo.....
just copy the vocal track you have and paste it in a new track...and then shuffle it along a few milliseconds until you are happy.
can't get any more real, and it won't cost you a penny.(he he).
let me know how you get on,,,,
bye for now.
September 20, 2002 @05:52pm
Tim Z

Originally posted by me ole trout:
can't get any more real

While that techinque does work well for vocals and some instruments, there is nothing better than just doubling the vocal for real. IOW, sing it again. The reason it sounds better by actually re-singing it, is because you will never get it exactly the same, but it is those subtle differences that give it the special character. Copying the track just makes an exact clone, but shifted slightly in time. Pretty well every pro recording you have heard with the vocal doubled has likely been tracked again.
Cheers
TZ
September 20, 2002 @06:05pm
f3

I agree wholeheartedly with Tim -- the copy and delay is, in my opinion, very annoying unless it's a buried backup vocal -- and even then .... ugh.
Do it a bunch of times -- what else you got to do??? -- and pick and choose.
September 21, 2002 @01:20am
donsaudio

Another me tooo! What TimZ said.
While you could get away with copying the track a second time and shifting slightly... you will be missing out.
By 'double tracking' you are adding tonal differences and well as timing differences (which do not remain constant) to your main track. Gives a much 'fatter' sound.
But then again, being as there are no real rules, try both methods out for yourself.
If you are looking for a software plug to do this, depending on what type of music you are recording, you may find yourself disappointed. You could try steinberg voice designer, or waves ultrapitch.
Cheers,
Don
September 23, 2002 @09:38pm
EQcomposer

Time shifting a track makes phase distortions because of the exact copy. When you sing a different part you avoid this because it's not exact.......
However, you can create a good double with the proper algorithm, by NOT varying the time much, (or at all), and change the PITCH slightly, randomly. When you sing with yourself, if you have a good sense of rhythm, as good singers do, you start notes pretty close to the same time. It's the variation in PITCH without phasing effects from time shifting that make a good fat doubling sound.
March 17, 2009 @12:19am
Bops2000

Have you looked at the Digitechs lately ?
http://www.digitech.com/vocalist.php
March 17, 2009 @09:53pm
EQcomposer

I have an older model vocalist. It does a pretty good job. What's your expericence?
March 17, 2009 @10:32pm