0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
NAMM Happening Now

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Tips and Tricks for Samplitude?

Joe Hannigan

Hello all; just wondering if there would be any interest in posting (here) any of your favorite tips/tricks for Samplitude.
Regardless of how we each use this product, I'm sure we've all found interesting and clever ways to get the job done.
From Mastering, to Noise Reduction to Tracking, I'm sure there's many ways out there to do things, plus a lot more we've not yet thought of.
Anyone want to post your fav. tip or clever way to handle an audio situation?
Brief or in-depth, I'd be interested to start sharing ideas with the regular posters here; clever or obvious, there must be all kinds of cool things we've each found (the hard way?) about Samplitude....
July 16, 2003 @03:21am
Fifthcircle

I'll start off....
For easy automation, think objects for major level changes. With auto crossfade active, split objects, extend the crossfade by dragging handles and then drag the volume handles on the objects up or down.
The linear crossfade will give you the smoothest level change possible. No way a fader can come close. For small gain changes, I use fader automation (but 90% of work is done the first way).
The Multiband compressor works wonders for de-essing as well. Using the compressor (not max) setting and placing the high band up at the 3.5-5K range, you can compress pretty heavily and really control sibilance. The lower bands can stay 1:1 (in mastering perhaps) or can be adjusted for the instruments you want to bring out. Solo the individual bands to get the sound as you want it...
In mastering, you can also use the multiband image enhancer for subtle image work. I often will shrink the image below 150 Hz or so. Give it a more "solid" feel. It also makes compression less necessary. Mid bands I open up a touch (perhaps 110 or so?) and the highs (above 6-8K or so) can be opened up pretty substantially to give more "air" to the sound. Be careful, though as this upper range has a tendency to give music a brittle sound if you aren't careful.
In 7.2, Mid Side processing using the pan dialog will also be possible. Now, you need to copy tracks, sum one to mono, expand the other to 200, compensate for level changes, etc...
That should get you started...
--Ben
July 16, 2003 @03:52am
Tekker

One of the tricks that I learned on the Samp newsgroup for recording multiple takes (so you can pick the best take and/or pick the best parts from each take and splice them together) is to set up a punch in/out loop for recording and as you record just let it keep looping and record each new take over the top of the previous one. Then when you stop recording, right click the track you just recorded and choose "Take Manager", then click "Static (Verbose)" and it will open up a new VIP with all of your different takes on separate tracks. So you can go through and audition each take and when you've found the best one, close the new VIP and click that track in the Take Manager and click "Replace". This will replace the track in your current VIP with the track you just chose.
I also save the new VIP with all the different takes, so that I can go back to it at anytime (I think once you close the VIP down, you can't use the "Static Verbose" anymore... But I'm not totally positive on that)
To copy objects from one VIP to another... Open up both VIPs and hit the Enter key. This will line up both VIPs right on top of eachother, then you can press and hold the Ctrl key and drag the object from one VIP to the other. This is the same way you copy an object to another track, but you are dragging it to a different VIP instead of to a different track. This is also a great way to copy several of your different takes from the Static verbose VIP into your current project VIP.
-tkr
[This message has been edited by Tekker (edited 07-16-2003).]
July 16, 2003 @10:21am
Tekker

Originally posted by Fifthcircle:
In 7.2, Mid Side processing using the pan dialog will also be possible. Now, you need to copy tracks, sum one to mono, expand the other to 200, compensate for level changes, etc...

I do that all the time in 6.05 for "Matering" (if you can call it that! lol ). I copy the track and use the object editor's panning to set one track to mono and the other to enhanced. This is great for mastering a stereo track, because you can process the "outside" and "inside" channels separately.
A nice trick is to add a slight reverb to the outside channel to kinda blend everything together while still leaving the center channel clear.
-tkr
July 16, 2003 @10:38am
Joe Hannigan

This is great; I'm glad to see some great, helpful responses already. (I like the multiple takes in the VIP idea, Tekker!)
I've got a few tricks of my own, and here's the first one I can think of, off the top of my head......
When removing noise with the "noise reduction tool", it's often helpful to do it one piece at a time. (eg: Hum).
Very often, the tried and true method is to simply sample a short section of the hum, put it on the clipboard, and use that as the noise sample in the noise reduction toolset.
That's fine, but I often felt it removed too much of the "air" around a sound, even with careful tweaking of the NR paremeters.
So, for something like hum (60 cycle, etc.) removal, I will first take a copy a short sample, paste it somewhere out of the way on the timeline, and then open this same short clip with the effects(destructive)/FFT Filter/analyser tool.
I then use a fairly high resolution in the "Settings" box (about 16384) to view the waveform. I use a fairly step rolloff for much info about 120/240 cycles, almost a brick-wall process. (Remember, it's HUM we want to remove, right?)
Making sure the "Create copy" box is checked; I then process this short clip, and VOILA! The hum remains, but all the audio above it(The AIR) is gone.
Thus, when you put this "NEW" hum sample on the noise reduction clipboard, you'll only be using the actual frequency (and not much more above it) as your reference.
After careful adjustment, you may find that just the HUM gets removed, while all your "AIR" and high frequencies remain intact.
It also works in the other direction, if, say, you want to remove a steady-state noise like a whine, or cell phone, or chirp, etc.
Samplitude's noise reduction tools work really well, provided you want to play around with them, and wring the best results out of them.
Hope that helps!
July 22, 2003 @11:35pm
zdogg

Nice tip Jo Jo.
Z
April 26, 2004 @05:28am
OTR-jkl

Ben -
Care to elaborate on that any...? I have need for MS processing at times and would love to find a quicker way to set it up...
April 26, 2004 @04:26pm
Fifthcircle

Right click on the pan knob in 7.22. You'll get an option screen for panning that also includes your phase reverse. If you select presets, there are several options for mid-side encoding/decoding.
--Ben
April 28, 2004 @04:40pm
Joe Hannigan

Cool tip, Ben! I've seen that dialog before (When doing surround mode) but didn't realize it was available that way.
Another great trick with Samplitude.
May 2, 2004 @10:52pm
patsplat

bump...:D anyone else..??Man...it's been dead in here lately.
July 2, 2004 @05:16am
Joe Hannigan

Everyone seems to have gone to the Samplitude/Magix forum.
Much better support and responses overall. Too bad for this place, though.....it's dead dead dead now....... :-(
July 3, 2004 @03:50am