0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
#WinYourWestones

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

24 bit, 32 bit float ????

LuCiD_2

when i record i have the option of choosing the sampling rate and either 16bit or 32bit float... where does 24bit come into this!? is 32bit float essentially 24 bit? and what is the float!? can someone please explain this to me...?
December 29, 2002 @03:24pm
knowdoubt

In samp you have settings for the software's internal resolution & the soundcards resolution. 32 bit float is what you want to have set for Samps internal resolution. This allows for greater precision in editing calculations & allows several fully peaked 24 bit tracks to be summed without internal clipping of the calculations. For the sound card, 24bit & 32 bit is essentially the same ressolution as there is no such animal as a 32 bit AD converter. It just has to do with the format of the file. I have both of those options but I generally set the sound card to 24 bit. I think there may be some theory that recording strait to 32 bit files from the sound card may be more processor efficient since computers are kind of geared toward 32 bit but not sure about that.
December 31, 2002 @08:06pm
LuCiD_2

so if i have my device resolution set to 24bit i will then record using 24bit? that is what i thought, but just making sure...
January 1, 2003 @08:21am
HeatherBiblow

"so if i have my device resolution set to 24bit i will then record using 24bit? that is what i thought, but just making sure..."
No, the device resolution has nothing to do with your recording format. This is the bit depth for the handing-over of the audio data stream from your audio card driver to Samplitude. 32 bit is the best setting for most cards.
You have to choose your recording bit depth in the record options of Samplitude. You can record in 16 bit or the 32 bit floating point format. 32 bit includes 24 bit plus the floating point mantissa, wich scales the 24 bit resolution over the full dynamic range. This is one secret for the outstanding sound of Samplitude against 24 Bit fixed point systems, like Pro Tools.
In version 7 the 24 bit fixed point format for recordings is also available.
January 1, 2003 @01:39pm
knowdoubt

HeatherBiblow;
With my MOTU 24i I have the option in samplitude to set device resolution to either 24 or 32 bit. I've selected 24 bit. Do you think I would do better to set it to 32 bit & why? I'm guessing this would mean my sound card would then be handing over a file that was already in 32 bit format which I suspect would save Samp from some processing necessary to restack a 24 bit file to a 32 bit file format. Of course I have Samps internal record resolution set to 32 bit float.
[This message has been edited by knowdoubt (edited 01-01-2003).]
January 1, 2003 @03:38pm
LuCiD_2

so if i set the recording box thingy to 32bit float i will get 24 bit files? cheers...
January 2, 2003 @08:50am
HeatherBiblow

"With my MOTU 24i I have the option in samplitude to set device resolution to either 24 or 32 bit. I've selected 24 bit. Do you think I would do better to set it to 32 bit & why?"
I don´t know what bit depth the MOTU driver transports to Samplitude, but I think the 32 bit setting is the best choice for nearly all cards. Otherwise Samplitude will cut the remaining 8 bits in the data stream.
Record in 32 Bit float means, you record in fact max. 24 bit audio data and get 8 bit more, to store and scale those data above the whole dynamic range. A 32 bit float file remains 24 bit audio resolution also in a -36dB volume reduction. A fixed point file go down in value 1 bit with every destructive -6dB volume reduction.
January 2, 2003 @11:00am
LuCiD_2

thanks for the info! turns out that i have been doing 24 bit then. nice. cheers for the info again
January 3, 2003 @09:53am