rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev
0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Sonar 2.0 won't install with DirectX 9.0

JPMcT

I am ramping up a new computer and have an ATI Radeon 9700 that is DX 9 compatable. The ATI website offered a prerelease version of DX 9 and I installed it. the card screams, but my Sonar 2,0 will not install and my M-Audio midisport box is non-viz on the computer.
Sonar 1.0 installs and runs fine, but the Sonar 2,0 install program INSISTS that DX8.1....and ONLY 8.1...be on the computer. I can't get back to 8.1 unless I reformat and reinstall Win XP. Perhaps stupidly, I don't run the system restore option since it is a resource hog. Reinstalling Win XP Pro (ie., funning setup again) does nothing.
I can live with the Midisport being down until M-Audio releases DX9 compatable drivers...or the final release version of DX9 appears. The stupid install program for Sonar 2.0 really peeves me...did Cakewalk think that computers were going to stay with DirectX 8.1 for all time???
This looks more like a fault of the install program than a fault of Sonar 2.0. Is there any workaround?
December 2, 2002 @12:33am
moskus

The stupid install program for Sonar 2.0 really peeves me...did Cakewalk think that computers were going to stay with DirectX 8.1 for all time???

That's just a sign that DirectX 9 is not fully backwards-compatible. I really don't think it's Cakewalks fault, but if it is, you will see a Sonar update at Cakewalks homepage a day after DirectX 9 is launched.
This is why I never install DirectX-versions that are beta...
December 2, 2002 @09:31am
Alan

Originally posted by JPMcT:
did Cakewalk think that computers were going to stay with DirectX 8.1 for all time???
I haven't tried DX 9 myself,but if I were going to I'd at least upgrade to Sonar 2.1.,I doubt that many other audio apps would be ready either.I'd see if there's DX 8.1 drivers for your Vid card for now.
December 3, 2002 @06:30am
jkg0

You can solve this problem by opening regedit by clicking on run on the start menu and typeing in regedit
in the directory structure on your left browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/DIRECTX
Double click on version in the right hand panel and copy the value to a text editor or write it down
replace the value with 4.08.01.0810
run the setup program
cakewalk sonar should install
after installation goback to the registry editor and change the value back to the number it was before. this will probably be something like 4.09.00.0900 but may be different depending on when you downloaded directx 9.0
hope this helps,
--jon
January 3, 2003 @09:38pm
streetskater

Thanks Jon, That worked. In light of the fact that simply changing that registry entry enabled Sonar to go ahead and install I'd say that YES, this is definitely a bug with Sonar or at least pretty sloppy programming by someone at Cakewalk.
Oh Well S*&^T happens
January 5, 2003 @03:48pm
Lofty

Is it a bug???
I would suggest that the check on DirectX version number is in the installation process because the product has only been tested with DirectX up to that version. Cakewalk cannot guarantee that future versions of DirectX (e.g. DirectX 9 and above) will work happily with Sonar 2.0 or 2.1.
You might be lucky....but if it were me, I would not use DirectX 9 until Cakewalk has an upgrade to encompass it.
January 6, 2003 @11:02am
xiod8378

I have found a page that indicates that Cakewalk has acknowledged an error on thier part.
http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/DEFAULT.ASP
January 27, 2003 @09:45pm
xiod8378

although.. the solution they provide is only for those who have the Boxed CD edition, not the downloadable installer edition.
so.. I'm still stuck. the solution jon provided did not work for me.
January 27, 2003 @09:47pm
moskus

Sonar as a download? Hmmmm....
January 29, 2003 @02:04pm
MaDcoW

OK enough whining... Here is your answer to the DX9 problem and Sonar... Some were close... but this DOES WORK!!!! Even for that special "Downloaded" version wherever you got it....
Ok.. you have to get into regedit and change 2 keys... here they are:
in the directory structure on your left browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/MICROSOFT/DIRECTX
Change the value to 4.08.01.0810
then browse to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/NVIDIA Corporation/Global/NVTweak/State/DXVersion
and change MSVersionFlag to 4.08.01.0810
This will work for ALL NVIDIA USERS!!!
Have fun
MaDcoW the MaD hAx0r
February 14, 2003 @08:25pm
Jeeper

I just reloaded my system for Windows 2000 and had to use DirectX 9. Cakewalk has an installer and explanation HIDDEN on their site. They do not own up to it without a big site search for problem with load. Here's link and I hope mine works: http://www.cakewalk.com/support/dx9.asp
Good luck it worked well here.
February 27, 2003 @08:03pm
melloman

I really wished I found that issue before I reinstalled because of that faux pax.
April 17, 2003 @01:22am
Zikes

By the way, if you buy Project 5 as I did, you have to install DirectX9 before installation of the app. Sonar is working just fine on my machine with Sonar XL2.2 with DirectX9. My only problem is Project 5 is not seeing a couple of Sonar FX plug ins like FXReverb. Everything else, effects, DXI's and VST's are showing up in both programs so I'm pretty happy with that. The VST wrapper that comes with Project 5 seems to be a winner, but I digress.
April 17, 2003 @02:24am
janiob

There's an official solution to this problem:
Go to:
http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/DX9.ASP
and Download this file.
"DirectXUtility.exe"
June 24, 2003 @11:39am