rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev
0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Best places to find vintage boards?

Ender

..and by vintage I mean either pure analogue or early 80s synths like the DX7.
Ebay is a good source, but I'm looking for general ideas about what types of local shops, locales, or the like who might have one lying under a pile of stuff that hasn't moved in 10 years.
I'd like to be able to browse and touch, and see beyond a digital picture what is and isn't wrong with it.
I'm not asking for specific stores per se, just good places to look you know. (pawn shops for example?)
I'd like to find: (incoming wish list) A TB-303, Korg...any of them basically, Oberheim again most of them, Minimoog (model D), Memorymoog, ARP 2600 or Odyssey, TR 808, TR 909.
Nice list there, I'm forgetting some big ones, but you get the idea.
Where would you all look if you wanted to find one around your area?
Also, my friend and I are having a debate as to how to say Dr. Moog's last name. Is it Moog as in Rogue, or Moog as in Fugue? $20 rides on this.
thanks!
Speaking of the DX7 there's an auction going on right now for a yamaha Tx816 rack mounted synth! Essentially 8 Dx7s in one unit. If FM synthesis is your thing then check it out. I'd post a link, but it'll be dead soon, and I'm sure there will be others. DX7s go for $250 and up on ebay. They're everywhere.
March 29, 2003 @03:10am
Roland

I hope you win the $20. It's Moog like in Rogue. I got to meet Bob and NAMM. Nice guy! :)
I have most, okay all, of the vintage boards on your wishlist and would be happy to give you info about them if you like. Most people these days know what they have and want to be paid a fair price for them, so amazing deals under a pile of stuff are much more rare but not impossible to find. Keep in mind that these are tempramental beasts that require lots of maintenance to keep up so they can get to be pretty expensive to own.
Consider some of the following Yamaha CS-80, Korg Trident, Korg MonoPoly, Korg MS-20, Roland SH-101, Roland SH-3 or SH-5, Roland TR-808 and 909, Roland Jupiter 8 or the rack MKS-80 w/programmer, Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 rev 2.2 or 3, T-8, Prophet 10 and Pro One, ARP Odyssey and Quadra, Oberheim 4 or 8 voice SEM, OB8, Matrix 12 and Xpander, Moog MicroMoog, MultiMoog and MemoryMoog.
Some of the digitals are very cool too. Try out a Yamaha VL1 or rack VL1M, EX5, SY99, Sequential Prophet VS, Korg Wavestation EX or AD, Kawai K5000S, Ensoniq FIZMO. All very nice.
Fun stuff. Hope you enjoy. :)
March 31, 2003 @05:24am