0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound Month!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

NOS RCA 12AT7 in a Rode NTV

wahwah

Hi all,
I just wanted to share a fantastic experience I've had by exchanging the tube/valve in my Rode NTV microphone. I have been buying a wide selection of NOS tubes for my guitar amps over the past few months, and I decided to replace all of my tube gear in the studio as well. I opened the NTV to discover the "specially selected" $2.50 Chinese 12AT7. I tried a Mullard CV4024 first, and the difference was astounding. I then tried a late 1950's NOS RCA black plate 12AT7, and I swear the mic sounded like it had $4,000 added to its value. The top was incredibly smooth, natural and open and the mids were like audio chocolate, or coffee, or Mocha, you know what I mean! The bottom end was robust and rich and the overall effect was absolutely stunning.
The tube cost about $16 landed in Australia from the US, and I can't imagine a simpler. cheaper or more effective upgrade. Its one thing having tube equipment, but its another thing altogether when you put in some decent tubes!
Cheers...........wahwah.
May 3, 2003 @12:18pm