We Love Gear Sale
Sweetwater Forums

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Audio MIDI Setup in OSX

Mauro371

Hello all. Does anyone know how to edit name/model descriptions in the Audio MIDI setup? In another forum, someone suggested these are actually xml files used by the system and that there was an OMS-xml utility somewhere that would enable you to edit old OMS names into AMS in OSX. I haven't been able to find neither the xml files in OSX nor the OMS-xml utility. Any ideas?
Here's the problem. I just installed ProTools 6. Works great. It also adds a number of manufacturers/models to Audio MIDI Setup. They seem to be old OMS files imported to AMS. I own a Digital Music Corp. MX-8 MIDI patcher (6-in, 8-out). This unit now appears in Audio MIDI Setup. But when I select it, it appears with only one input one output. Furtheremore, there is not a place in Audio MIDI Setup to tell it that this is in fact a MIDI patchbay with multiple ins and outs, from which to hang my other MIDI hardware. Any suggestions?
Mauro
February 15, 2003 @04:45pm
prism

I saw something on this recently. I think it was at www.osxaudio.com.
I printed the directions [seemed complicated] but decided against messing with it for now. I will check that printout tonight and see if I gave you the right site, if not I will post again with the correct site address.
March 10, 2003 @08:26pm
Mauro371

Thanks Prism. I hope it's not too complicated. I found a way of doing them manually, but it took me almost two days to do one K2500X bank... I'm hoping there is another easier way to do this...
Mauro
March 10, 2003 @09:26pm
prism

Mauro371:
I am not sure if this will help. I've been using Macs since 1986, but I am very new to OSX. The directions I found have to do with custom icons in the Audio Midi Setup. Anyway, here is the link: Uh Oh...I just tried the link that was printed at the bottom of the instructions and it doens't lead anywhere......
Bad Link:
http://electro80.trash.no/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=1
It came from a link off of either www.osxaudio.com or www.kvr-vst.com
The directions are too complicated [lots of graphics] to reiterate here. I'll try to retrace my footsteps are find a good link.
Best Wishes
March 11, 2003 @02:51am
prism

Mauro371:
Found it. Go to www.osxaudio.com
On the left screen side there is a column of "Categories", go down to "Article: Audio Tips", then from the screen that appears select "Customize your Audio/Midi Setup App", another screen will appear with the link to the article [http://electro80.trash.no/module.php]. Hope this helps.
Best Wishes
March 11, 2003 @03:15am
prestigiar

CherryPicker will convert both FreeMIDI and OMS patch files into midnam files (DonationWare).
http://www.savagetranscendental.com/cherrypicker/
However, you'll need a valid .middev file for your devices tof the .midnam files to work.
August 27, 2004 @11:09pm
studio139

The profiles are text based and
you can edit them with Textedit.
Just find the file and correct the
information and it should work.
I have created a number of custom
profiles for my system and they
work just fine.
I think they are in the user library>
audio>midi device folder...
October 9, 2004 @06:14am
Close Close $6,000 Mackie PA System Giveaway -- input your email address below to enter or click here to learn more.

See giveaway details & rules or check out our past winners!

Success!

Your email, test has been entered to win this giveaway. Good Luck!