0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
#WinYourWestones

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Best Amp Modeler for Recording

sherekhan

What do you think is the best Amp modeler (hw or sw) for recording purposes?
I'm looking for the best possible sound and as much versatility as I can get.
If you think the best way to go is to mic a cabinet with built-in amp models, that's ok too. I just don't know what is supposed to be the best option.
Thanks.
February 6, 2003 @03:55am
xstatic

Honestly, Line 6. I know there are a ton of new amp modelers out now, but none of them even sound nearly as good to me as the line 6. The heavy tones on the POds etc... sound worlds above the other modelers available. There are some pretty cool plug ins now though that are starting to get there. IK Multimedias amplitube sounds pretty darned good too. If you are going with a digital amp, the Crate sounds like hell, I hate the Johnson, The cyber twin sounds OK, but only on sounds that have always sounded good through a twin anyways (no heavy distortion or punchy crunchy guitar riffs. The newer Hughes and Kettner sounds pretty good, but the LINE 6 Vetta smokes em all;)
February 6, 2003 @07:47pm
Foreverain4

i have a podxt, (line6) and i LOVE it! this is basically the vetta without the amp and speaker. is quite a bit cheaper. has digital outputs as well as balanced outs. i cant remember the last time i actually miced a guitar amp. hahaha.
February 6, 2003 @08:04pm
R Whittington

Definitely Line 6 anything. PODXT is overall the most versatile. Once you learn how to edit sounds and effects...there's nothing you can't do with one. And just another heads up and a new incredible Line 6 product. The Variaxe. It models guitars the same way POD models amps. I've heard them in action twice now. And it does everything from Strats, Teles, Pauls..Ricks..335, Firebirds. The Banjo and Dobro sound so good it's actually funny....to see those sounds coming out of a guitar that looks like a hot rod strat.
February 7, 2003 @03:46pm
godotzilla

A Marshall Super Bass through a Greenback-loaded basketweave. It is the model against which all other amps are judged!:D
Sorry, couldn't help myself ...
February 13, 2003 @06:55pm
Songsmith

The Line 6 gear is really good. But then so is the Digitech and the Korg. The others are also pretty nice. I have spent over a year looking at them and trying them all out.
There is one above all the rest, however. That is the Vox Valvetronix. You can run it out of the line out, or through the built in Celestion(s) or however and it sounds full and rich. The models are excellent.
You can find a good example of any tone or character you could wish for from the Vox. The "stomp box" effects are great as are all of the others.
Yeah, the Line 6 is good. In my opinion the Digitech GNX is better yet, but the Vox is somehow way ahead. Perhaps the 12AX7 in the output circuit. Also the ability to run 1 watt full output up to 60 or 120. You can have a really nice full driven sound from the Vox speaker(s) while your children sleep down the hallway.
Believe me, I have done this and recorded it.
Got to say I am looking forward to the new Vox Valvetronix Tone Lab. That I will use straight into my recorders.
Thanks
Songsmith
April 11, 2003 @01:05pm
gardenofsound

I know that people have lots of trouble trusting Behringer, but trust me on this:
Behringer V-Amp. I've used it for recording, and it's friggin' awesome. Cheaper Pod, works really well.
May 1, 2003 @12:56am
chromaticdescent

Line 6 PodXT hands down. One of the best gear investments I've made. I am constantly selling gear to upgrade, but I honestly cannot ever see myself selling the PodXT. I use it for everything recording-wise, not just guitars. Keys, drums machines, etc. Besides its modeling capabilities, it is a good pre- and an excellent effects unit. It is also an excellent front end for live shows. I have to say, however, that as good as the PodXT sounds, digital modeling will NEVER sound as good as a good guitar through a good amp with good mics and good recording gear. It will always be an approximation because you are not pushing any air. Part of a good guitar tone is due to its physical impact on the diaphram of a mic. Nevertheless, you the Line 6 is great, and what you sacrifice is tone you make up for in convenience. Cheers.
-Elliot
May 22, 2003 @06:09pm
guitarjoe

The POD is a piece of junk. No real guitarist s EVER actually use one. WOW. These guys must be recording people who care about how much dough to make not about sound. Get a real tube amp and mic it if ya got the time otherwise the only logical choice would be to use a speaker emualtor/load box ---THD hot plat. MUCH better than A DIGITAL GUITAR SOUND.
listen to godzilla
May 24, 2003 @08:15am
R Whittington

Guitarjoe,
Please, enlighten us with your definition of a REAL guitar player. I was actually turned on to the original POD by a multi-platinum selling guitarist and songwriter whom I'm sure you'd think would have never owned, recorded with or even given a second thought to trying one of these, much less using it to record ALL of his guitar tracks for the past several years. I do personally own many tube guitar amps and have over the years tried every amp simulator (starting with the original Rockman in '82...I still own it) that's come down the pike and while I don't particularly find the POD to be the best choice for live performing myself, I do find it to be quite a convincing recording tool.
Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Period. But you're coming very close to insulting thousands of people by questioning whether they're REAL guitar players if they use a POD...It kind of reminds me of the way certain audio engineers used to say that digital recorders were "pieces of junk" and that digital recording was a fad that would go away soon. I started as a performing guitarist many years ago and I am now what I'm sure you would consider "recording people" but I can also assure you that I am a REAL guitar player. Digital technology is like spandex. It ain't for everybody.
May 24, 2003 @03:44pm
TACurtis

I think guitarjoe was trolling, first and foremost. He still hasn't gotten over the mental hurdle of using anything but a miked amp -- which is okay, but IMO he's missing out on a lot of neat things technology has to offer. . .
May 24, 2003 @08:03pm
guitarjoe

Lighten up
May 25, 2003 @01:32am
JKim67

Mesa Boogie recently put out a Rectifier Recording pre-amp. You can read about it here:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Rectifier_Series/RectoPreAmps/RectoPreAmp.html
I don't know too much about the Pod but this thing seems to be the bomb!
September 13, 2003 @12:56am
sixfeetover

Ok, I have beaten up a lot of equipment, and i do agree that an amp is better with tubes, but its not always practical. I prefer, and use the pod xt. Its easy to use, cheap, and can double as an amp if yours dies. Its realy functional, and reallly good sounding. It goes from crunch metal to al di meola in a knob turn. The only thing that sucks about it is that the foot pedals are freakin expensive....
Other than that, its the best value. I but in terms of amps, mesas, but thats another post...
In my opinion, it rocks. if you have the money, get the rack version
September 14, 2003 @01:34pm
smokinfretboard

WELL I RECENTLY PURCHASED A LINE 6 AND TWO WORDS "FUCKING SWEET" WOW I LOVE THIS THING AND IT LOVES ME (I CAN TELL BY THE UNBELIEVEABLE SOUND THIS THING PRODUCES) ALL MY FRIENDS SAY MESA BOOGIE BUT LINE 6 HAS IMPRESSED ME ANYONE WHO WOULD'NT GO TO NEW TECHNOLOGY IS CRAZY THIS STUFF IS TOO SWEET TO MISS OUT ON THE HELL WITH MARSHALL'S NEVER USED EM ANYWAYS AND PEAVEY (WHAT A JOKE)
September 24, 2003 @05:13am