rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev
0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

In Need of some Counsel

Bluesman48

I am in need of some wisdom and advice from the all knowing on the forum here. I am going to have a drummer lay down some drum tracks on a cd I'm working on. The kit is very basic, snare, hi-hat and kick. The arrangements are very simple guitar(s), bass, drums and vocals. This is not for professional release, just for me and my friends entertainment. That being said I still want it to sound good. Since I have never tracked real drums before I do have a question. I am going to use a SM57 (snare) the drummer is going to supply the mic for the kick, and I'm going to use a pair of Miktek C-5's for overheads, on the hi-hat I am leaning towards my Royer 101. Now for my question(and I realize this is completely subjective) do I compress while tracking or is that best left at mixdown or is it both ? Please share your wisdom oh learned ones. Thanks:)
February 27, 2013 @09:17pm
poetdoc

I tend to cut as dry as possible, then add the effects in mixing and mastering. I play a combination of acoustic and electronic instruments, and I try to smooth everything out in post rather than try to keep track of all the different instruments. That's just me, though; I'm sure there are experts who would call me crazy. ;)
May 22, 2013 @06:36am