rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Do I need a DI boxes for Alesis DM10 to connect to mixer for live

EOG Drummer

Hello,
Sorry for the repost but haven't received anything in the drum forums. New to E-drums, bought a DM10 studio for use at a small worship center for live and recording. My question on the hook up to the sound board (Mackie Profx 16) do I need to use DI boxes or can I run unablanced TRS to xlr cables into the snake and then the board?
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Rick
February 15, 2013 @06:57pm
DAS

Hello,
Sorry for the repost but haven't received anything in the drum forums. New to E-drums, bought a DM10 studio for use at a small worship center for live and recording. My question on the hook up to the sound board (Mackie Profx 16) do I need to use DI boxes or can I run unablanced TRS to xlr cables into the snake and then the board?
Thoughts?
Thanks,
Rick

Very often this will work, and when it does it's usually better than using a cheap DI box with cheap transformers that will saturate under the high output of the drum brain. Try it. The results will depend a lot on your environment and how long of a run it is.
February 20, 2013 @04:28pm
SysExJohn

The output from the drum unit is going to be at line level, the input on XLR is at mic level.
The Pro FX is very much like my DFX12. So the drum signal is likely to be way too hot for the XLR socket.
If you're committed to a snake from stage to mixer my advice would be to get an XLR to TRS adapter to plug into a line input on the mixer. I'm guessing Neutrik NA3 FP is the one.
John.
March 10, 2013 @05:42pm
TimmyP1955

The mic inputs of many consoles would be able to handle the signal level, so that might not be a problem. If it is, you can use an XLR-TRS cable to patch into the line inputs.
Even it all is well in this regard, you could end up with a ground loop. In that case, you'll need transformer isolation. In that case, may as well go with good passive DI's. The Audiopile.net units are good and very affordable. For something better but not too hard on the wallet, go with the Radial Pro series (the green ones).
March 26, 2013 @01:20am