rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev
0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Why am I still here?

analogcontrolfreak

I have asked myself why I am still here. and I can not come up with an answer? I hardly ever post, mainly since I have nothing to share! Especially for someone who is not really a musician. I don't even play anything! So it almost makes no sense? Sure I have an interest in synthesizers, and have owned a few, but never really did anything with them. I had taken piano lessons, but hated to practice. Love classical music, just no playing it. I wanted to play like John Lennon, but I am more like John Cage! Not that I have done either! I guess I just got to frustrated and just gave up!
Paul
February 9, 2013 @09:27pm
Lmf

I have asked myself why I am still here. and I can not come up with an answer? I hardly ever post, mainly since I have nothing to share! Especially for someone who is not really a musician. I don't even play anything! So it almost makes no sense? Sure I have an interest in synthesizers, and have owned a few, but never really did anything with them. I had taken piano lessons, but hated to practice. Love classical music, just no playing it. I wanted to play like John Lennon, but I am more like John Cage! Not that I have done either! I guess I just got to frustrated and just gave up!
Paul

Paul,
You must have enjoyed playing synthesizers at one time. You might find learning "to play piano by chord" would be more helpful to you, so you could learn to play songs more quickly. Were you playing for your own satisfaction before? Many people are happy doing just that while others want to play before crowds of people. When you determine why you "gave up" maybe you will consider playing again and not be so tough on yourself. Playing for your own amusement can be a good thing. Later, you might move on to more difficult playing skills as you progress. To be honest, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the number of times you share or do not share in this forum. Read as much as you can from those who are posting. Seek to learn new things. Find ways to better improve your musical skills. Find within yourself why you were drawn to the musuc you like in the first place. Maybe that will awake the desire to start again. You can start again should you choose to do so. Thank you for your honesty in sharing.
Best wishes,
Lloyd
March 6, 2013 @07:20am
analogcontrolfreak

Thank You Lloyd!
March 6, 2013 @12:45pm
analogcontrolfreak

What originally drove me to want to learn how to play, was my parents player piano. That I became a master of. But, when it came time to actually sit down and want to learn how to play, that's where the reality kicked in. After years of lessons, and watching ton's of videos, and trying to read sheet music. I realized that I really could not play. No matter how Hard I tired. Even when I learned to play a few tunes, I just got bored, and frustrated. My mind works like a Jackson Pollack painting with a side of ADD. My hands and mind just do not work together. I can hear music in my head, but it does not translate to a keyboard. I love listening to music, just not playing it. Sales people thought they knew what I wanted, but even I did not know what I wanted.
I wanted a Juno-6 or Polysix, was stirred towards an AX-60. Wanted a wavestation, suggested an SY-22. Wanted an M1, was told Qs-6 would be better. Wanted an ION, shown a Motif. Why would salesmen steer me away from what I wanted, and towards what they thought I should have. I hate that. If I am drawn to something, don't crush it or suggest something else? That's crazy. So it's a performance synth so what? So what if Bob Moog said we should be playing for other people, and not for ourselves? Who's business is it to tell me what I should and should not have. If I want a Minimoog, or a Juno-6 then damn it, let me buy it. I know what I am drawn to and what I am not, and why on earth do manufactures make these instruments, they think people want? Don't get me wrong, there are some really good keyboards out there, but how many people use every single sound and function, and why on earth were knobs removed in the first place. Also, whose idea was it to make a keyboard the could replicate a whole band? May as well just hire an arranger keyboard player and forgo a whole band. Could save a lot of money.
Look, I know people mean well, and want to help, but lets face it. Some people have it and others do not. I am of the latter. I love synths, just really cannot play.
Besides the Minimoog, and Juno-6 and Korg MS-20 and ION.
The only other keyboard I was ever drawn to was the Triton Le. Granted I could not play, but there was something there.
Paul
March 7, 2013 @02:50am