0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
NAMM Show Report

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Better sounding drums

Gigmeister

I've been using Garage Band and Logic Pro 8 for a while for my gig sequences. However, I am growing weary of the stock drum sounds, especially in Logic. Is there another source or third party drum sounds I can get and use within the Logic sequence for better sounding, more authentic drum sounds? Even an Alesis HR-16 sounds better on many things, to my ears. Thanks in advance.
Riley Wilson
www.guitarmadesimpler.com
January 15, 2013 @03:23pm
ACB

There you go then! Except I would go with either the SR-16 or the newer SR-18.
The two are separated by a $100 price difference but it really doesn't matter if you have your eyes on the price or the feature set-BOTH of these are winners!
BTW, I hear the SR-16 has been loaded with NEWER sounds than its original predecessor ( 1991) making it even MORE of an outstanding value at 149.99. I paid TWICE as much for the "old man" but it STILL kept me out of trouble for half a decade! And a THIS price point, I am almost SURE that there isn't a piece of software that can come CLOSE to the versatilty of this unit!
With Alesis, a drum hit hard takes on the modulation of a drum being hit hard, instead of sounding like a sample with a volume increase!
Best part, though, is that you CAN edit your samples-not super-deep, but enough to get what you want!
"Sound Stacking" is the absolute best! With MY Alesis from 1991, I took two sounds, combined them, and came up with an ultra-realistic side stick sound! If you find a kick drum sound that you like for the attack, but it decays too fast, you can stack it with ANOTHER kick drum that has more "oomph!"
Starting to sound like a rep here, so let me close by saying $149.00 will get you A LOT!
Only thing is SWEETWATER, is that you don't mention whether the "NEW" SR-16 has at least MIDI I/O!!!
But, it probably should!
March 13, 2013 @04:29am
Gigmeister

There you go then! Except I would go with either the SR-16 or the newer SR-18.
The two are separated by a $100 price difference but it really doesn't matter if you have your eyes on the price or the feature set-BOTH of these are winners!
BTW, I hear the SR-16 has been loaded with NEWER sounds than its original predecessor ( 1991) making it even MORE of an outstanding value at 149.99. I paid TWICE as much for the "old man" but it STILL kept me out of trouble for half a decade! And a THIS price point, I am almost SURE that there isn't a piece of software that can come CLOSE to the versatilty of this unit!
With Alesis, a drum hit hard takes on the modulation of a drum being hit hard, instead of sounding like a sample with a volume increase!
Best part, though, is that you CAN edit your samples-not super-deep, but enough to get what you want!
"Sound Stacking" is the absolute best! With MY Alesis from 1991, I took two sounds, combined them, and came up with an ultra-realistic side stick sound! If you find a kick drum sound that you like for the attack, but it decays too fast, you can stack it with ANOTHER kick drum that has more "oomph!"
Starting to sound like a rep here, so let me close by saying $149.00 will get you A LOT!
Only thing is SWEETWATER, is that you don't mention whether the "NEW" SR-16 has at least MIDI I/O!!!
But, it probably should!

I guess the only thing I need is to hook it up via a Midi cable? Will Logic recognize the drum machine as a plug in or external device?
March 13, 2013 @06:53pm
jpleong

March 13, 2013 @09:02pm