0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound Month!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Looking to upgrade, not sure if possible

LMNO

I'm looking to make some upgrades, but I'm not sure if what I want to do is feasible.
I do remote recordings, so having a laptop is essential for my purposes. I'm currently running ProTools 9.0.6 on an old (c. 2007) MacBook Pro, OSX 10.6.8, through a DigiRack 003.
(Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.33 GHz)
I also have a 2011 iMac, OSX 10.7.5 (Intel Core i5, 3.1 GHz), which isn't being used for ProTools at the moment.
This is what I'd like to do:
- Buy a new MacBook Pro (which will undoubtedly come with Mountain Lion)
- Upgrade to ProTools 10
- Upgrade the iMac to Mountain Lion
Then, I'd like to have ProTools on /both/ the MacBook and iMac, so I can dump the field recordings into the bigger machine for mixing.
My concerns are:
- Will I need two separate copies (purchases) of ProTools 10?
- Will the DigiRack 003 be compatible with the Firewire 800? I believe it has a 400.
How much will this cost?
I could get away with simply upgrading the laptop, but I'd really like getting the power of the iMac in on this.
Would anyone have thoughts or suggestions on this?
January 15, 2013 @10:38am
Andrew_Malloy

Since Pro Tools is now linked to the iLok key rather than the hardware or a serial number, you can have one license on two machines by porting the iLok between the two of them. This prevents you from running them concurrently, but you won't need a second license unless you want to not have to worry about porting around the iLok.
The 003 will work with the new iMac and Mac Book Pro with Firewire 800. You would need to have a 9 pin to 6 pin cable to make this connect.
Ultimately, you would need have a Firewire drive, the Cable and the upgrade to Pro Tools 10
January 15, 2013 @02:54pm