0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Presidents' Day Sale!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Which Les Paul for Jazz?

jaybird

I'm considering adding a Les Paul to my meager guitar line up. I'm mostly interested in getting a nice jazz sound. Which LP do you recommend for that? In the end, I know it's all up to personal taste. And I won't buy a guitar I haven't played. However, there are so many LPs out there with so many configurations that's it's a bit confusing and I live in a smaller town where I just can't go out and try them all to compare. If there's a clear winner recommended here, that will help steer me. Thanks.
January 12, 2013 @11:51pm
jpleong

Are you set on a Les Paul? My favorite jazz players (internationally and locally) primarily use semi-hollowbodies -usually based on the ES-335 design. The Ibanez AS-7x/8x/9x, in particular, are standout, toneful instruments. They also happen to be really affordable.
If you're set on the LP, my favorite pickup in the neck position is the Seymour Duncan Jazz. It's a very hi-fi pickup that you can get installed in almost any Les Paul.
JP
January 14, 2013 @08:24pm