rrrabuyvsvsveytfazersurdwarubawvev0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

iLok -- how much pain?

stevenrberg

I've enjoyed using the Structure Free sample player that came with my ProTools SE, and am considering buying the complete version of Structure. I see that unlike the Free version, it requires iLok. What are people's experiences using iLok? Is it convenient enough? How much of a pain is it to set up? Once it's set up, does it actually provide smooth access to the software? I've had one experience with a highly regarded software program turning out to be a pain in the ass to use becaues its security program has a glitch that the company can't fix so I have to use a tedious workaround, would not like to have to do that again.
I think fewer companies are using iLok than in the past, which doesn't bode well...
December 25, 2012 @06:13pm
stevenrberg

Typo in the first post, I'm using ProTools LE, not SE.
December 25, 2012 @06:19pm
DAS

I've enjoyed using the Structure Free sample player that came with my ProTools SE, and am considering buying the complete version of Structure. I see that unlike the Free version, it requires iLok. What are people's experiences using iLok? Is it convenient enough? How much of a pain is it to set up? Once it's set up, does it actually provide smooth access to the software? I've had one experience with a highly regarded software program turning out to be a pain in the ass to use becaues its security program has a glitch that the company can't fix so I have to use a tedious workaround, would not like to have to do that again.
I think fewer companies are using iLok than in the past, which doesn't bode well...

Been using iLok for years. There are sometimes little annoyances here and there, but in the vast majority of cases it's trouble-free. One big benefit, in my estimation, is how easy it makes to move from licenses one computer to another. Just unplug it and plug in in to the other workstation. Of course you still have to download all the software...
December 26, 2012 @08:32pm