0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Spring Clearance

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Sandy Hook

kstroop

This is a Facebook post I just did. Feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, Kevin Stroop
My old band mates know that I have often created songs, or parts of songs in my sleep (apparently, this is not uncommon with musicians and is thought to happen in REM sleep). Sometimes it is just a melody, sometimes it is a guitar lead riff or a chord progression, and occasionally it is a whole song. Too often, I don’t get up and write it down, or record something to make sure I don’t forget the next day. Sometimes something sticks in my consciousness so persistently that I have to get up and write it down, and sometimes it appears in my sleep night after night.
Friday night, after a day of shock over the events in CT, this simple chorus came to me in my sleep, and it comforted me such that I was able to sleep through the night. I didn’t write it down that night or the next day. I didn’t really think of it after I woke up.
When their souls fly up to heaven,
Your angels know just what to do.
Cause when their souls rise up to heaven,
You know they’re coming home to You.
© 2012 Kevin Stroop
Saturday, my Mom fell and broke her hip in three places, and was admitted to the hospital. It is expected that she will have surgery on Wednesday. That night, this chorus came back in my head, and I felt peace. Again, I did not write it down, I had other things on my mind.
Sunday, I was able to visit my Mom at the hospital and was relieved to find that, with medication, her pain is being managed. But we are concerned that she doesn’t want to eat, and that her surgery is being considered “high risk” due to her age and other health problems she has. Again Sunday night, this chorus re-visited, and it insisted that it be shared.
This morning, I finally wrote it down. Since Friday, some verse lines have been rattling around in my head, but I had a feeling I’ve never had before. Something told me that I should not only share the chorus, but I should share the writing of this song, and that way, it could offer some peace to others as well.
I was resistant at first. This chorus is very simple and not like the stuff I usually write, and I was worried what people might think. And I was worried that adding the copyright would be misconstrued. Know this: I do not wish to make money off of this, and I don’t want anyone else too either! Hence, the copyright.
So if anyone is interested and wants to contribute to this song, let’s talk. Should it be something we collaborate offline? Or should it be a Facebook creation? Post ideas of how it should be put together here and we’ll decide. Does anyone know if and how to do a poll on Facebook?
Oh, and by the way, if you think this can in any way help anyone, please re-share! I have no idea where this will go, if anywhere, but it’s just something I had to do to keep going. Thank you for reading this.

December 17, 2012 @04:00pm