0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
January Clearance 2017

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

2 problems with pro tools 10 w/eleven rack on PC

jeff@jeffcosco.com

1. when I open protools I lose the headphone output from the eleven rack. Can't seem to find a setting to change that
2. protools opening screen says searching for video engine. When I installed I said no to video, but anyway I found a fix that says change name or delete "Video Engine" folder. didn't work I believe that might have been possibly a mac fix but didn't work on pc
Thanks!
December 11, 2012 @02:35pm
johnnydee61

1. when I open protools I lose the headphone output from the eleven rack. Can't seem to find a setting to change that
2. protools opening screen says searching for video engine. When I installed I said no to video, but anyway I found a fix that says change name or delete "Video Engine" folder. didn't work I believe that might have been possibly a mac fix but didn't work on pc
Thanks!

Coming from R2R tape and tube amps and being on this long hard road that leads to PURE TONE, which has been my lifelong pursuit since tape and tubes were eliminated by the digital cartel I have to say that AVID absolutely defines everything that annoys me and brickwalls my creative flow.
Avid eleven rack does not have one single preset that makes me want to stop and play a few chords or solos... not one. So far, the "personality" of this piece is digital and lifeless. Probably GR* if you never reeeeaaaaly played through a QUALITY amp without FX saturation. Pure "guitar tone" does not exist in the eleven rack... needs to be present at the input. The sounds are all thin and seem to be deliberately masked behind EFX, without which, there really is no "balls" to the sound of this unit. It's all FX which leads me to believe that this unit might be better suited as an FX box in the loop of a good tone producing AMP, then something glaringly "WOW" producing might come out of this seemingly "all show" piece.
OTOH, my original line 6 red BEAN has so many wonderfully TUBE sounding factory presets that it takes me an hour to get through 2 banks because I get so caught up in TONE and ease of operation... NO TIME to dial in a gr8 tone with the pod 2.0. Of course "prestige addicts" will disagree but the POD 2.0 hit the nail on the head and the floorboard including two expression pedals can be found for $99.00. I paid $300 for for the voodoo controller alone and another $200 for the mission pedal and cables to wire it to the Voodoo board. That's $500 just for a few switches in metal boxes and I still have to jog between volume and wah, where the ANTIQUATED pod and floorboard give me an intuitive and well marked controller which I can operate in total darkness. The VOODOO pedal only has the UTILITY functions of the switches inked onto the top. If you are looking for the REVERB or DDL switch, you will need to spend a TON more time with this pedal before navigation becomes second nature as with the POD 2.0 and Floorboard.
One of my major concerns was NOT having to bend over to edit or put the pedal box on my bench to tweak it up. I like seperate switches because if a pedal switch dies, I can keep playing and recording while my pedal is out for repair. Something to think about when considering all-in-one configuration.... The work around to this is having the $ to keep a spare unit on hand to get you through the gig or session while your unit is in the shop. These are things we "older" guys learn to consider when buying gear. Everything nowadays is so overly feature laden that todays musical products seem to cater more to computer "gamers" then "PICKERS".
I remember when I first got my POD, I showed it to a friend who plays with Allen Holdsworth. He said "another box filled with a ton of bad sounds" and I was insulted. To me, the eleven rack is just that. A huge collection of bad tones buried under a mountain of options which put you even FURTHER from the TONE which is what all these electronics was supposed to do in the first place... produce USEABLE "TONE".
So in the spirit of pro tools, Avid continues to provide products which simply put, impede the creative flow.
I have most of the DAWs. If you want to get some recording, writing, MAKING MUSIC done, throw pro tools in the trash, get Cubase, an AMPLIFIER, a decent condenser mic and an apollo quad and load it up with UA plugins. Load it into a mac book pro... NOW get prepared to start making MUSIC.
Yep, I'm not a "gamer" and my days of inflating my pride by building and endlessly tweaking PC's are OVER.
Mac's WORK, Cubase WORKS, the UA apollo quad WORKS pretty much out of the box and is a BOON to anybody who prefers to work WITH digital audio as opposed to working ON the gear pleading with it to work while your ideas and inspiration fly out the window. I don't expect many "gamers" and "tweakheads" to take what I am saying well, but for the rest of you seasoned men out there... like me you have been at this a long time. Nuff said.
September 9, 2013 @01:56am