0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
June 2017 Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

a/d --- d/a converters

rbell1

Hey: I was just wondering if there would be any audible advantage/disadvantage to upgrading to a good quality outboard a/d converter, and can i actually use it with my current signal chain? I have some decent mics/pres/compressors/cables etc... into a Tascam 2488 neo 24 bit recorder for tracking/mixing. Then for mastering I go out of the Tascam into an Alesis Masterlink. So is it possible to insert an outboard a/d converter in my signal chain right before the Tascam? The Tascam has built in a/d converters on input. So the question is, can I/ should I run an a/d converter into an a/d converter?
December 10, 2012 @01:16am
TimmyP1955

Think about your question for a minute, and the answer will reveal itself.
If you were to convert A to D, you'd then need to convert back to A in order to feed the A inputs of your recorder. If your recorder has D inputs as well, then there might be something to be gained by using a better A-D. But whether that would be the best way to upgrade the system remains to be seen (heard).
December 11, 2012 @06:17am