Free Shipping with no minimum purchase. Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Rupert Neve Recording Gear Giveaway - March 2015

Pedalboard set up noise from? Voodoo power, one spot, noise gate.

Hello I set up my pedals with boss Chorus/mxr phase 90/mxr carbon copy/tc electronics arena reverb/boss rc4 loop station in that order into the effects loop. CAE wah pedal into boss tu-3 tuner into front of amp, my amp is a mesa mini recto. I am runnin all these pedal on a single one spot. Now when I arrange the order I plug in the one spot and actually leave the first free one spot plug unplugged it greatly reduces the amount of noise I'm getting, there is still a little bit but I can live with it. I was wondering if I used a power supply like voodoo would it eliminate all noise? What are the benefits in a power supply like voodoo or dunlop power brick? OR could I just get a gate pedal and the one pedal take care of all the noise that comes from pedals power guitar ect. I could put a noise gate at end of effects loop chain and another at end of tuner and wah?

Quote Originally Posted by dcz702 View Post
    Hello I set up my pedals with boss Chorus/mxr phase 90/mxr carbon copy/tc electronics arena reverb/boss rc4 loop station in that order into the effects loop. CAE wah pedal into boss tu-3 tuner into front of amp, my amp is a mesa mini recto. I am runnin all these pedal on a single one spot. Now when I arrange the order I plug in the one spot and actually leave the first free one spot plug unplugged it greatly reduces the amount of noise I'm getting, there is still a little bit but I can live with it. I was wondering if I used a power supply like voodoo would it eliminate all noise? What are the benefits in a power supply like voodoo or dunlop power brick? OR could I just get a gate pedal and the one pedal take care of all the noise that comes from pedals power guitar ect. I could put a noise gate at end of effects loop chain and another at end of tuner and wah?
    It sounds like you benefitted from re-arranging the order of the pedals. I'm not sure how much you'd benefit from using a different power supply however. Both the 1Spot and VoodooLabs products are very good. I'd like to hear other's experience on this...anyone notice a different result using batteries as opposed to power supplies?
    Richard Whittington
    800 222 4700 x 1376
    richard_whittington@sweetwater.com

Are we talking actual noise or a ground loop buzz?

JP

Quote Originally Posted by jpleong View Post
    Are we talking actual noise or a ground loop buzz?

JP
    Not sure what ground loop buzz is. For years I have not used many effects. What I can tell you is when I added my chorus, phase,delay, reverb and loop station all powered by one spot into effects loop there was no noise. Then when I plug in the tuner in front of the amp and daisy chained the same one spot to the tuner LOUD as heck buzz. When I used a separate power supply for the tuner buzz was greatly reduced but not gone. Didn't like that I had to use two different power supply's as I wanted to keep me pedal board neat and tidy, so I tried rearranging the one spot outlets and that worked. But it's is still creating a little buzz, not terribly annoying but it's noticeable, when not playing, when I'm plugged in without pedals amp is quite. So really my question is do I have to live with it? What are the benefits of a power supply like voodoo vs one spot. I was looking at a mxr smart gate, thought I would put it at end of my tuner and wah then into front of the amp. Does the smart gate get rid of noise caused by the power going into the pedals from outlets, along with cutting out noise from a guitar with noisey pickups like single coils?

Quote Originally Posted by dcz702 View Post
    Not sure what ground loop buzz is. For years I have not used many effects. What I can tell you is when I added my chorus, phase,delay, reverb and loop station all powered by one spot into effects loop there was no noise. Then when I plug in the tuner in front of the amp and daisy chained the same one spot to the tuner LOUD as heck buzz. When I used a separate power supply for the tuner buzz was greatly reduced but not gone. Didn't like that I had to use two different power supply's as I wanted to keep me pedal board neat and tidy, so I tried rearranging the one spot outlets and that worked. But it's is still creating a little buzz, not terribly annoying but it's noticeable, when not playing, when I'm plugged in without pedals amp is quite. So really my question is do I have to live with it? What are the benefits of a power supply like voodoo vs one spot. I was looking at a mxr smart gate, thought I would put it at end of my tuner and wah then into front of the amp. Does the smart gate get rid of noise caused by the power going into the pedals from outlets, along with cutting out noise from a guitar with noisey pickups like single coils?
    Ah, good. So what you're experiencing is buzz from a ground loop. I get the same thing with my OneSpot (and any other daisy-chained power supply) when I hook up a high-drain digital device. For me, that's my digital delay. For you, that could be your looper or the tuner.

The Voodoo Lab power supply will fix this problem because it has what are called "isolated" power lines. What that means, in a nutshell, is that each output is like having a separate power supply. You can still daisy chain off each output, but it allows you to keep the noisiest device separate.

The Voodoo Lab supply will NOT address the noise from pickups or self-noisy effects -that's what devices like that MXR Smart Gate are designed to hide. And I do mean to emphasize HIDE, because all it does is hide the noise when there is no other signal coming through. When you play a note, that noise comes right back. So, the only real way to get rid of noise in the guitar chain is to acquire good-sounding noise cancelling pickups and low-noise electronics and effects.

If I may also suggest, many people keep their tuners out-of-line with the signal path to the effects and amps. Lots of gear (preamps, switchers, volume pedals, etc...) have separate tuner outs specifically for that purpose.

JP

Ah, good. So what you're experiencing is buzz from a ground loop. I get the same thing with my OneSpot (and any other daisy-chained power supply) when I hook up a high-drain digital device. For me, that's my digital delay. For you, that could be your looper or the tuner.

The Voodoo Lab power supply will fix this problem because it has what are called "isolated" power lines. What that means, in a nutshell, is that each output is like having a separate power supply. You can still daisy chain off each output, but it allows you to keep the noisiest device separate.

The Voodoo Lab supply will NOT address the noise from pickups or self-noisy effects -that's what devices like that MXR Smart Gate are designed to hide. And I do mean to emphasize HIDE, because all it does is hide the noise when there is no other signal coming through. When you play a note, that noise comes right back. So, the only real way to get rid of noise in the guitar chain is to acquire good-sounding noise cancelling pickups and low-noise electronics and effects.

If I may also suggest, many people keep their tuners out-of-line with the signal path to the effects and amps. Lots of gear (preamps, switchers, volume pedals, etc...) have separate tuner outs specifically for that purpose.

JP
    Thank you Jp I'm understanding now that I'm able to isolate the problems I can then figure out what I need to fix them. Appreciate it.

JP
    Thanks Jp. You made everything a little clearer, understanding and isolating the noise. Keeping the tuner out of line do you mean running into effects loop putting it first into the chain. Currently I have it after the wah into the front of the amp and my chorus first in effects loop running on a battery, everything else run on one spot sound is gone..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	298 
Size:	910.5 KB 
ID:	685