0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound Month!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

AES/EBU Digital audio

midiextender

Does anybody ever need to run AES/EBU Digital audio over longer than usual distances.. Is there a demand for this?
November 12, 2012 @05:05am
midiextender

If so.. there is a solution which will allow the user to send AES/EBU Digital audio up to several miles.
November 12, 2012 @05:23am
Andrew_Malloy

In the years of designing systems, it comes up rarely in semi pro applications and never comes up in consumer applications. The AES50 spec is pretty solid at this point and is really starting to take hold. There are companies that make repeaters to extend the streams at about 330 feet each. Unless you are wiring a stadium, I could see very few uses for needing to send digital audio this far.
November 12, 2012 @02:27pm
michaelhoddy

You can easily run AES over fiber for very long distances (miles and miles) with the right line drivers.
November 12, 2012 @07:34pm
midiextender

Many thanks for the feedback regarding this!
Agreed, for a few industrial applications like "wiring up a stadium" something like this would be very useful.
I wasn't really sure about the consumer level either, you are probably correct.. not so much. If there are any other pro level applications you happen to think of, feel free to let me know. Concerts, live sound maybe? Thanks!
November 21, 2012 @12:16am
Andrew_Malloy

Many thanks for the feedback regarding this!
Agreed, for a few industrial applications like "wiring up a stadium" something like this would be very useful.
I wasn't really sure about the consumer level either, you are probably correct.. not so much. If there are any other pro level applications you happen to think of, feel free to let me know. Concerts, live sound maybe? Thanks!

Again, with concerts, see "Wiring a stadium". Anything where you have a manageable scale in the paradigm of say like an outdoor festival Ethersound, AES50, Cobranet, MADI and a few other protocols have no trouble getting to 100 M so the need extend AES past that is rare and in the case of AES50, Klark Teknik makes a repeater to handle this.
November 21, 2012 @01:22pm
midiextender

Many thanks again, that's very helpful.. and for sending the link. Interesting!
November 24, 2012 @10:49pm
midiextender

You can easily run AES over fiber for very long distances (miles and miles) with the right line drivers.

Right. This particular unit would run AES/EBU over fiber.
December 19, 2012 @01:20am
midiextender

Just curious does anyone have an example of a "set up" they could share where they are using AES/EBU. It could be very simple. Thanks!
December 19, 2012 @05:09am
midiextender

Right. This particular unit would run AES/EBU over fiber.

up to a few miles...error free and interference free!
December 31, 2012 @09:24am