We Love Gear Sale
Sweetwater Forums

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Lost in the mix

Big Bottom Willie

I'm a newbie to live sound and only by default, since our guitarist who ran the board left the band.
We're having a problem with the guitar getting lost in the mix (drums, bass, keys, vocals). We don't use a guitar amp but feed the guitarist's floor multi-effects unit right into the mixer/PA. The guitar sounds okay in the monitor (even fairly loud) until the rest of the band starts playing, then it's almost totally lost. Is it an EQ issue? A simple volume problem? Some weird phase thing?
It makes me wonder if we just have too much sound crowding the same frequencies, but again I'm new at this so I have basically no idea. Any help or thoughts appreciated.
October 31, 2012 @03:20pm
Dave Burris

My guess would be the typical stage volume issues. EQ could certainly contribute to the problem, but is probably not a sole cause.
November 4, 2012 @02:37am
Big Bottom Willie

My guess would be the typical stage volume issues. EQ could certainly contribute to the problem, but is probably not a sole cause.

Um....... so what exactly are the "typical stage volume issues?" Please forgive my newbie-ness (newbie-dity?)....
November 7, 2012 @08:42pm
Dave Burris

Reader's Digest version:
Everyone on stage is too loud and trying to get a balance out front means getting louder. This contributes to everything beginning to merge into an indistinguishable roar.
The cure: everyone should be focusing on playing just loud enough to hear themselves, and hopefully everyone else. I've often recommended guitars moving to smaller amps with the cabinets pointed toward themselves or cross stage as opposed to on the floor pointed outward.
Unfortunately drums are often the start of the problem because they are by their nature loud, but guitarists and bassists (electric) can also be at fault.
Too often the solution to "I can't hear myself" is to turn up instead of getting the source of the problem turned down.
November 8, 2012 @02:30am
TimmyP1955

Likely not nearly enough midrange in the guitar tone.
November 10, 2012 @07:28am
GraniteRose

Mid-range in the guitar tone is a great guess for sure. It's also important when monitoring that you're not putting EVERYTHING into the monitor. The idea is that the monitor supplements what the performers already hear on stage. So instead of putting everything in the main mix into the monitor, you might only put guitar, vocals and keys, at levels corresponding to how much of them you already hear in your stage environment. Just emptying out the monitors a bit can make a big difference.
November 28, 2012 @08:08pm
TimmyP1955

Make sure that the stompie's Cabinet Emulation is turned on.
December 1, 2012 @08:08am
Close Close $6,000 Mackie PA System Giveaway -- input your email address below to enter or click here to learn more.

See giveaway details & rules or check out our past winners!

Success!

Your email, test has been entered to win this giveaway. Good Luck!