0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
February Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Buzzing Uke?

angieh328

hey folks. i'm new here, so apologies if there's a more appropriate place for something like this. :)
i just received this last night: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KPTpack/ it's my first uke, and to say i'm excited is a gross understatement, but i noticed a few things while i was tuning it for the first time. there is a noticeable buzz on the fourth string, and it seems that no amount of fiddling can make it go away. is this a problem with the string? the nut? the user? :p has anyone else run into this problem and maybe have a solution?
i'm also having a lot of trouble tuning. i'm pretty new to string instruments (i played trumpet for 7 years, although i did dabble in piano when i was a kid), so i don't know if my problems are legitimate problems or just side effects of n00b-ism. i've been tuning with a combination of online tuners, my own digital tuner, and the electronic clip-on that came with the uke, and aiming for a low G tuning. i can't articulate this very well, but i feel like the sound is too low compared to other low G tenor tunings i've heard. i'm a little afraid that if i wind any tighter to get the sound i think i should have, i'll end up damaging the uke.
am i delusional, or are these questions and fears most uke-in' n00bs have?
rock on, guys.
September 28, 2012 @12:39pm