0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
July 4 Financing

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

XLR Cables: Mackie Pro12FX non-powered mixer to Samson R6a Rubicon Active Monitors

Lmf

Hey Gang!
My Mackie Pro12 FX non-powered mixer has two XLR outlets (male) that I would like to hook-up to a pair of Samson R6a Rubicon Active Monitors with XLR inputs (female) to be used as a practice room for vocals and pre-recorded sountracks lto use like a PA practice room.
I want to use balanced speaker cords with XLR connectors. Are there special speaker cords XLR (male/female) for that use and/or will 20'-25' microphone cords with XLR connectors (male/female) work?
The mixer isn't powered nor do I have a power amp to plug the Mackie XLR outputs (male) to.
Any advice?
What cables are proper?
Advantages and/or disadvantages to using balanced XLR cable?
Best wishes,
Lloyd
September 12, 2012 @04:12am
Ted

Yes, regular microphone cables will work fine. "Speaker" cables are typically to connect the outputs of an amplifier to the inputs of a speaker, and are usually two conductors, no shield. The connection from your mixer to a pair of powered speakers is a line-level connection, so normal XLR cables are exactly what you need.
September 12, 2012 @12:56pm
Lmf

Ted,
Thanks so very much for answering my questions. Now, I can proceed with the tasks of setting up my new mixer purchased from Sweetwater of course. Your answer was straight-to-the-point for a guy like me who isn't the brightest lightbulb in the lamp.
Best wishes,
Lloyd
September 12, 2012 @10:41pm