We Love Gear Sale
Sweetwater Forums

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Amplified pa speakers for home usage?

sean2222

Hi,
I was curious as to whether pa speakers could be used as strictly home audio speakers period. Not for mixing, or any studio work. Just as a set of amplified home speakers to run into my boombox. I do it with computer speakers. I do it with near sound monitors. So if I run pa speakers into my boombox will it sound as good as either of th eother types? I see many have very high amp. ratings so I wonder if this might blow out a small music system? I also wonder about how people are saying these pa amplified speakers tend to accentuate bass. Is this the case on all? I am specifically looking for a natural sound (similar to monitors) but with less bass and an accentuation of highs. I usually do that with eq's on my speakers, etc. But i do not want anything that is going to be bass heavy even after I turn bass down to nothing with an eq. I want a pretty flat sound with very high frequencies high in the mix. Call it tinny. Call it trebly. Call it harsh. Call it bright. That is what I like, I am an audiophile. I don't want anything else. So will pa amplified speakers give me the sound I desire? Which brand/model will do so and also have the eq on it. And will they put out a better sound (to my needs) than an amplified 'studio monitor' that I am already used to having. I have behringer, numark, and alesis monitors at home btw. And my price range will not exceed $300 for a pair of speakers. I want 2 obviously, not this single speaker crap I see.
thanks
s
August 26, 2012 @03:53pm
jpleong

All PA speakers have a hyped frequency response as they are designed to project sound to a large number of people. The higher up the price bracket you go, the more smooth, even, and studio-monitor like they get. The cheaper speakers (in the price range you're looking at) are usually designed for DJs, garage bands, and groups that need to amplify voice so expect accentuated bass, as you mentioned, and a more-honky midrange.
In your situation, the only reason to get a PA speaker would be if you intend to move your setup around a lot. PA speakers are designed to get knocked around and live in a van/trailer/truck. Otherwise, dollar-for-dollar your average $300-pair of studio monitors will sound as good or better than your average $1200-pair of PA Speakers.
If you are truly an audiophile, I suggest you save up some more money and stick with near-fields. The really, really accurate sounding stuff begins in the $500+ range. Look at Genelec, Mackie (HR series), Tannoy, Dynaudio, KRK, JBL, etc... Don't hang-out in the bottom-of-the-barrel too long as there's the old adage: "Buy cheap, buy twice."
JP
August 26, 2012 @04:25pm
yeahforbes

It may also be appropriate to look more toward consumer models. The stuff that puts a product in the pro audio category are just unnecessary in the living room, and your dollars end up buying features like XLR instead of RCA, Speakon instead of spring terminals, carpet/tolex instead of faux wood grain, handles... and sound quality takes a back seat at the entry level. A $150 speaker that doesn't include all that stuff should be better than one that does.
August 26, 2012 @06:05pm
TimmyP1955

Find a local shop (not a chain) that sells electronics such as Arcam, Rotel, Marantz, Denon, and Creek. They should also have a good range of affordable speakers.
Or just get some Grado headphones, which are hard for speakers to beat no matter what the cost.
September 2, 2012 @09:19pm
Close Close $6,000 Mackie PA System Giveaway -- input your email address below to enter or click here to learn more.

See giveaway details & rules or check out our past winners!

Success!

Your email, test has been entered to win this giveaway. Good Luck!