0% Interest for 48 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Live Sound Month!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Is it possible to mix in headphones?

brianbfw

My home studio is in a bedroom that wife has been gracious enough to allow me full domain over. My next challenge is creating a mixing environment. Headphones really seems to be the best option. From my research, treating a room is a long and expensive process, not to mention I think mixing with regular monitors would drive my family crazy.
Every always mentions “taking the room out of the mix” is the most important thing. Seems to me high quality headphones (with an amp) would be the best solution with some spot checking on monitors.
With high end converters, headphone amp, and a good set of headphones that accurately represent the mix could be a salutation.
I have a rosetta 200 for my converter running an older apogee symphony system.
I understand there will be limitations, but any thoughts on this concept?
Thanks
-Brian
July 27, 2012 @04:07pm
jpleong

You can do it... You just have to make sure you reference check constantly.
Pick one set of very hi-quality headphones and stick with them. Get to know every nuance and "learn" the limitations of the frequency response. The same, of course, can be said of studio monitors in your room...
Good 'phones will cost you, too... The ones I would use if I didn't have the ability to mix over speakers would be the Beyerdynamic DT-990s. Not cheap.
JP
July 27, 2012 @09:58pm
TimmyP1955

The problem is that bad as most speakers are, most headphones are worse (Grado being a notable exception). Add in that you can't feel the low end, and it can make for a lot of frustration.
July 30, 2012 @01:10am