0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
#WinYourWestones

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Newbie question

Big Bottom Willie

With the exit from our band of our guitarist (who owns the PA and several of the mics), we are requiring everyone to purchase their own vocal mic. Simply put: are there any dynamic microphones to avoid (possibly overrated), or conversely, any that are clear winners in the value-for-performance department? (FYI our current mics range from an AKG D790 to a Shure 58 beta.)
Thanks!
July 23, 2012 @04:10pm
jpleong

With the exit from our band of our guitarist (who owns the PA and several of the mics), we are requiring everyone to purchase their own vocal mic. Simply put: are there any dynamic microphones to avoid (possibly overrated), or conversely, any that are clear winners in the value-for-performance department? (FYI our current mics range from an AKG D790 to a Shure 58 beta.)
Thanks!

The regular SM58 wins in the value department. I think the AKG D880 (and its successor, the D5) is a great underappreciated mic that you can find for a steal. The Sennheiser e835 is also an easy winner...
Others will probably disagree with me but I don't care for any of the Audix mics.
You should each audition your own mic. They all sound different enough on different voices that, often times, the best sounding mic isn't necessarily the most expensive.
JP
July 24, 2012 @05:03am
TimmyP1955

Sennheiser E835, EV PL80A or N/D767a, Audix OM3.
July 26, 2012 @05:21am
Big Bottom Willie

Thanks for all the help! I should add that our female singer has a fairly soft voice - softer than the guys, at least. Any mic that is better suited to her?
July 26, 2012 @01:53pm
jpleong

Of the ones I listed, the AKG D880 is the hottest -but whether it will sound good vs great on her is dependent on alto vs soprano.
JP
July 26, 2012 @03:04pm
TimmyP1955

Ignore the output of a mic as compared to any other mic. It has nothing to do with the sound quality, or how much it rejects what you don't want it to pick up.
IME with live vocal mics, (beyond a certain point) the better the sound, the more unwanted garbage they pick up. (VX10, KMS105, KSM9, AE5400, PR22 all sound much better than the 'usual suspects', and all pick up so much gak that they are unusable in most situations.)
July 30, 2012 @01:17am