0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
February Giveaway

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

How does one bypass interface preamps?

fatfro

If I have an interface with onboard preamps, but I want to use a better hardware preamp, how would I go about bypassing the preamps on the interface?
July 2, 2012 @08:49pm
Andrew_Malloy

There are several ways to do this, but it is going to largely depend on the preamp and the interface.
If your interface has a digital input and your preamp has a digital output that would be the corresponding format, you can plug directly in. This would be the best option. The second method would be to use the line inputs of the interface directly from the line output of the preamp. The third best method would be taking the line out of the preamp into a mic/line input and setting the preamp gain to unity to minimize the tone of interface's preamp on the signal.
July 2, 2012 @09:00pm
fatfro

Does unity mean zero, or all the way down?
July 2, 2012 @09:22pm
Andrew_Malloy

That will really depend on the interface. Most will have some sort of marking on it designating where that is. They are all going to be different.
If it does not have a mark for line level unity, I would suggest setting a good level using the metering on the preamp before setting the level of the gain on the interface.
July 2, 2012 @09:27pm