0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
#WinYourWestones

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

reduce the twan

expresso

Hi,
I am seeking advice on how to make a twangy tele less twangy and produce a warmer tone. I have been looking into Fender tele (I like their neck profiles), with rosewood fretboard.
second question here:
Squier classic vibe thinline has a mahogny body, but a maple fretboard that I dont like. Can this whole neck be replaced with another neck with the same profile with rosewood fretboard?
I dont mind upgrading or modding the guitar.
Thanks for your thoughts
June 30, 2012 @03:56pm
rct

1.) If you want a guitar that isn't twangy, there is no reason to buy a telecaster and make it not twangy, the store if full of not twangy guitars, one of them will have a neck you like.
2.) By the time you invest in guitars and necks and switcherooing every thing, you may as well just buy a guitar that has what you want on it.
rct
July 2, 2012 @03:39pm
R Whittington

part of what gives the classic design of the Tele it's twang is the fact that the bridge pickup is mounted to the bridge itself. There are several models that don't have the classic bridge pickup design. I'd start with one of those...maybe the Blacktop Tele would be a good place to start. It also has humbucker pickups which will also have a bit of a darker sound than the single coil pickups. At that point about the only thing left from the classic Tele design is the body.
July 2, 2012 @03:46pm
sniperelite

I'm a big fan of Duncan Alnico II Pro tele pickups to reduce some of "the icepick in the eardrum tone" that some teles can produce. The Alinico II magnet gives a softer, more rounded tone the the alnico V found in most teles.
Hotter, overwound pickups, will also have less twang, but the Alnico II pro's tame the wild tele without losing all the great telecaster snap and bite.
July 14, 2012 @03:16am