0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Presidents' Day Sale!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

unable to install XP Service Pack 3 on 2007 Creation Station

bangpow

Hello,
I have a rack mount creationstation purchased in 2007. I've recently upgraded my DAW software to Sonar X1 - which requires XP SP3. I've been running Sonar 8.5 on the factory installed XP SP2. Up to this point the CS and Sonar 8.5 have been absolutely rock solid.
Now that I have this brand spankin' new cool Sonar update which requires SP 3. And that's the problem - SP3 "breaks" the CS. I have repeatedly tried to install XP SP3 - even downloaded the SP3 install file 3 times. The installation appears to complete successfully. There are no errors. But on the required post-install reboot,the computer gets locked into a reboot loop. It repeated restarts and I am shown the "windows did not successfully boot" screen. It does not matter which selection I choose: safe boot, safe boot with networking, safe boot with command prompt, or boot normally. It tries to boot, but I end up back to that same screen. There are no errors or warnings. The only way out of this loop is to press F11 and go into Acronis and restore back to the factory backup (thank you for creating this restore point Sweetwater!!!)
Any insight why XP Service Pack 3 would be causing the problem? How can I solve it?
Thank you
Tim
June 8, 2012 @09:00pm
Justin

Call 1.800.222.4700 x 6400 and talk to our tech support, they should be able to assist with this issue.
June 12, 2012 @01:57pm
bangpow

Call 1.800.222.4700 x 6400 and talk to our tech support, they should be able to assist with this issue.

Yes, Emmett in tech support helped me sort it out. Thank you Emmett and Sweetwater!
June 13, 2012 @08:18pm
midihead

bangow,
Are you able to share here what your resolution was? My situation is completely identical to yours and nothing has worked with upgrading to SP3 so far on my 2007 Creation Station. Thanks! :)
June 20, 2012 @12:49am
bangpow

bangow,
Are you able to share here what your resolution was? My situation is completely identical to yours and nothing has worked with upgrading to SP3 so far on my 2007 Creation Station. Thanks! :)

midihead,
The problem is USB. You need to unplug/remove USB hardware and unload the device drivers before booting SP3. Once the OS is up, reconnect the USB devices and let windows re-install device drivers. I tried only unplugging USB devices (keyboard, mouse) while rebooting. Win XP+SP3 will boot okay, but as soon as the USB devices are plugged back in the Windows immediately crashes. The complication here, at least it was for me, is you need PS2 style keyboard and mouse. I managed to find an PS2 style keyboard but no mouse. I used a variety of keyboard shortcuts to navigate Control Panel.
Here is the email from Sweetwater tech support:
First, unplug all USB devices from the PC. You will need an older-
style PS/2 keyboard and mouse. The PC should booth this way. Once it
boots, right click on My Computer and choose "Manage". Then select
Device Manager. Expand the Universal Serial Bus section. Right-click
each controller listed and choose Uninstall. Once that's done,
restart the PC and they should reinstall themselves and everything
should be good.

Good luck and let me know if I can help.
June 20, 2012 @04:09am
midihead

Yay, that worked! I was able to install SP3 just fine after following the provided instructions. THANKS SO MUCH for your help! :)
July 4, 2012 @11:14pm
bangpow

Good to hear you are back up running. It's all Sweetwater Tech support... those guys/gals rock!
July 6, 2012 @08:27pm