0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 3

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Feedback problem

Rtagoylo

I'm having feedback problem with my set up. I have the classic Bose L1 system and an AT2020 mic. I just bought this with the intention of using this set up for guitar (duet) performance. I tried adjusting both the mic &/or the Bose to avoid the dreaded "loop" signal, but I just can not get rid of the feedback. I was told that the problem is rooted in the acoustic properties of the room, in which I agree. I was told to use a digital feedback eliminator (DFE) & maybe two mics , one for each player. Please advice & recommned a tried & tested DFE device that is not so expensive & can handle two microphone and maybe a pair of not so expensive cardioid microphones that do not require phantom power. Thank you so much.
June 5, 2012 @08:26pm
jpleong

I'm having feedback problem with my set up. I have the classic Bose L1 system and an AT2020 mic. I just bought this with the intention of using this set up for guitar (duet) performance. I tried adjusting both the mic &/or the Bose to avoid the dreaded "loop" signal, but I just can not get rid of the feedback. I was told that the problem is rooted in the acoustic properties of the room, in which I agree. I was told to use a digital feedback eliminator (DFE) & maybe two mics , one for each player. Please advice & recommned a tried & tested DFE device that is not so expensive & can handle two microphone and maybe a pair of not so expensive cardioid microphones that do not require phantom power. Thank you so much.

The AT2020, though it can be used successfully in specific live situations, is not designed with that purpose in mind. It has a very wide pickup pattern and high sensitivity, which is the opposite of what you want to use in a live sound situation. The fact that the Bose L1 systems are wide-dispersion PA systems only makes matters worse.
I do not like feedback eliminators; they are not particularly musical nor predictable. I suggest replacing your AT2020 with a couple Shure SM58s.
JP
June 6, 2012 @12:05am
Rtagoylo

JP,
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'm going to resolve this issue in phases. First, I will buy two SM58's & try if that helps. If not, then I'll probably gamble with something like Sabine Feedback Eliminator. As for the two mics, do I need a mic mixer, so that I could use them with my Bose L1 compact? As you know Bose L1 compact has one 1/4" Mic input & one 1/14" electric Guitar input.
RT
June 6, 2012 @08:18pm
jpleong

JP,
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'm going to resolve this issue in phases. First, I will buy two SM58's & try if that helps. If not, then I'll probably gamble with something like Sabine Feedback Eliminator. As for the two mics, do I need a mic mixer, so that I could use them with my Bose L1 compact? As you know Bose L1 compact has one 1/4" Mic input & one 1/14" electric Guitar input.
RT

I've never tried plugging a microphone into the 2nd (guitar) channel of the L1 Compact. It's quite likely that it would work fine with the SM58 (just be sure you get the proper cable to make the connection).
Otherwise, I would recommend a compact mixer like a Yamaha MG102c http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MG102c/ and plugging the outputs into the line-in of the L1 Compact. It adds a bit more complexity to your setup, though, and I know you're trying to avoid that.
JP
June 6, 2012 @08:35pm
Ted

If you'd like to make due with what you've got, you may still be able to get some use out of the AT2020. Unfortunately my guess is that you'll only be able to use it on a single guitar, up pretty close. If you're able to position it so the back of the microphone is pointed towards the speaker, and you can get it close to the guitar, you may be all right...it may sound better a little ways back, so you may have to experiment a little bit to find that sweet spot.
June 6, 2012 @10:13pm