0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
January Clearance 2017

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Possible new headphones out of phase

gulapiano

Hi,
I recently picked up a new a pair of cans for my audio needs: Audio Technica ATH-M50. They have an extremely accurate sound and I am pretty satisfied. I have a feeling that the two sides might be a little out of phase because at some points the sound is extremely clear and others its a little muddy and seems covered up. It comes in cycles which adds to my thinking. They are literally brand new and I haven't even had them a week and I noticed it right away. I have a feeling I might be a little crazy but it still seems like a valid explanation. Does this sound like an issue? If so, they have a year limited warranty and I could easily take them back to the shop even. I'd like someones opinion on this if possible.
Thanks
May 17, 2012 @09:43pm
TimmyP1955

With what media/file types?
May 18, 2012 @01:58am
Dave Burris

Why would being out of phase be a "sometimes" thing?
May 18, 2012 @02:23am
TimmyP1955

Some files types have phase anomalies.
If the L and R headphone grounds were to remain tied together but become disconnected from the plug's ground (or the plug's ground from the jack ground - or the jack ground from the headphone amp's ground), everything that's panned to the center would disappear.
May 21, 2012 @02:31am