0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Somebody please help me with a Kurzweil PC2R

Glenn M.

Hello,
I'm a midi-technically-deficient newbie - I'd like to replace an Ensoniq SQR sound module, that I manipulate using program change from a (gasp!) Ensoniq ESQ-1, with a recently purchased Kurzweil PC2R (O.S. version 4.0). Is it possible for me to "midi map" sounds in somewhat the same way that I have set up with the SQR? Can some one please point me in the right direction for doing this, starting with whatever I have to do in the global section? I don't need it to be a midi transmitter to any other modules, just to be a slave. I'm not doing any sequencing on the ESQ-1, just picking sounds and playing them in real time.
So far, I play sounds with the PC2R as I want, but have to use the front panel wheel (knob) to change sounds - I need to be able to access the sounds I want with midi program change (bank select/program select) - including setting up one sound that's completely blank (muted) for when it shouldn't play.
Thanks in advance for any help! And please let me know if I should have posted this in the Midi section rather than here.
May 14, 2012 @09:10pm
Bob

All Kurzweils typically respond when getting Program Changes from a controller. Are program changes being sent by your Ensoniq?
check out this link for PC2R manuals and more info:
http://kurzweil.com/product/pc2r/downloads/
May 24, 2012 @01:30pm
Glenn M.

Hi Bob,
Thanks for your reply.
I apologize that I didn't say things correctly in my post - I'm not very MIDI knowledgeable, frequently don't know the terminology - and sometimes don't know exactly how to explain what I'm trying to do in the first place anyway. Let me try again...
The PC2R is receiving program changes fine, just as the SQR does. What I guess I can't find on the PC2R is what I'd say is the equivalent of file "save as" on a computer - I can get a sound to save in its present location, but I can't seem to MIDI map it to a location of my choosing so I can play it with program change # "xxx" (Like I've been doing on the SQR). I was hoping to do that with KB3 sounds as well as internal sounds. After that, if I could figure out how to let my mod pedal control the speed of the leslie from slow to fast (I sweep the LFOs in the ESQ-1), that would be a big plus... The last "plus" would be to know how to separate some certain sounds from zones and save them to a particular location, again to be played by program change from the ESQ.
So, I guess the bottom line is, I just don't know how to MIDI Map the PC2R.
Is there anywhere that I can find a written menu flow chart for the PC2R? That, of course, would save a ton of button punching! I have a PC2R manual, but I guess I don't see what I'm looking for...
I apologize for being such a "newbie"; this is the first Kurzweil product I've ever owned, and actually the first product other than Ensoniq that I've ever tried to MIDI map or otherwise modify...
Thanks again for your help.
May 27, 2012 @07:08pm
Synthologist

Glenn, have you visited Kurzweil's website? You can send them an email request for tech support.
I'm sure someone there can help you.
June 7, 2012 @01:45pm
Bob

In terms of midi, Kurzweil is 100 based instead of 127 based. So, they start 100 and higher and the last digit is the name of the bank. But every slot on a Kurzweil is already mapped.
I would check out chapter 4-35 of the PC2 manual.
June 7, 2012 @02:28pm
Glenn M.

Aha! I should have known. I guess, with my rig, a MIDI controller would be my only way to access the Kurzweil program change numbers. I know that you can modify the PC2R sounds and save them in the same location, so that's not a problem, just accessing them with my old board is... I could always go to a newer second keyboard in the rig and play that, then there'd be no need for the PC2R... I rented a friend's Roland Juno Stage keyboard for a gig I played Saturday night, but found myself playing it on only maybe 8 or 10 songs - the ESQ-1/SQR still does what I need for the majority of a gig...
Anyone got any recommendations as to what controller would solve my problem? I could really use a controller that has a USB port - it's time that I learn how to talk to my rig with a laptop (Not that I want to take a laptop to gigs and use it for a controller).
Alternatively, what other sound module would you recommend that I could use with my old Ensoniq that is 127 program change based? I'm really only looking for some clean strings and some killer Hammond B3 sounds.
Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate them.
June 11, 2012 @06:46pm
TimmyP1955

Use a computer running Bome's MIDI Translator to change each command to what the receiving unit needs.
June 25, 2012 @02:24am
Glenn M.

Interesting stuff, Thank You! I'd rather not be taking a lap top to gigs, but there ought to be a controller that I can program those translations into...
Time for me to go lurk in the MIDI section, learn something... Who knows, maybe I'll end up building a controller myself, I can handle a soldering iron - just know precious little about MIDI...
Thanks for all the responses!
June 27, 2012 @12:30pm