0% Interest for 36 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Presidents' Day Sale!

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

What effects do you suggest for live vocals!

Trav

What would you recommend for live vocals in cover band that does everything, country, to pop, to classic rock to r&B.
Thanks.
May 7, 2012 @06:33pm
jpleong

Compression, reverb, maybe some vocal doubling. If you have a soundman, let him handle it. If not, something like this will do the trick:http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VLPlay/ or this is if you play an instrument: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VLPlayGTX/ or the top-of-the-line: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VoiceLive2/
Reverb is really the big thing that stands out between different decades and genres of music. It's a must if you're covering a lot of 80's tunes.
JP
May 7, 2012 @07:42pm
TimmyP1955

A good reverb and a simple tap delay. The entry level TC units are pretty good.
May 8, 2012 @04:49am
michaelhoddy

A good reverb and a simple tap delay. The entry level TC units are pretty good.

This- both the effects and the TC boxes, which are great for a cheap box. Any more effects than this (unless you're doing music in which the vocals are purposely heavily processed), and you're trying way too hard. In normal popular styles, piling on the effects in a live situation often has the overall effect of making things sound worse, not better, unless done by a really good engineer who has a sense of the music and the entire mix.
More often than not, I've seen heavy effects used by singers who are insecure about their own voice. Be yourself, or maybe yourself with a lil' reverb and occasional delay, and call it a day.
May 8, 2012 @01:47pm
Dave Burris

Like any toolbox, there are tools for various situations. Also, like the toolbox, a great number of people use the wrong tool for the job. One of the things I like about a good digital mixer is the availability of the tools when they are needed. The art is in knowing what tool to use and how to use it.
Barring all those options, I would agree that a compressor, a couple of reverbs, and a delay will suit most needs easily. Even these can be severely abused, with compressors probably being the most misused device in the bunch.
There's no substitute for having control of your dynamics and stage volume. If you haven't accomplished that, you're likely to only make things worse when you start adding effects.
May 16, 2012 @01:52am
rickcperry

Like any toolbox, there are tools for various situations. Also, like the toolbox, a great number of people use the wrong tool for the job. One of the things I like about a good digital mixer is the availability of the tools when they are needed. The art is in knowing what tool to use and how to use it.
Barring all those options, I would agree that a compressor, a couple of reverbs, and a delay will suit most needs easily. Even these can be severely abused, with compressors probably being the most misused device in the bunch.
There's no substitute for having control of your dynamics and stage volume. If you haven't accomplished that, you're likely to only make things worse when you start adding effects.

Yea... What he said! I couldn't have said it any better... But K.I.S.S. Keep it simple stupid, Don't go overboard and buy NASA, Sometimes the learning curve is way too steep.
May 16, 2012 @10:56am
eRoland

Get simple reverb like tc or lexicon. A compressor would be my first buy to get the vocals on top of the mix. Coupled with basic reverb you can get very good results with practice.
May 19, 2012 @11:49pm