0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Spring Clearance

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Need help on setting up two guitars in same amp!

Trav

Hey y'all,
quick simple question....... (I'm not a guitar player at all)
I teach a stage band class, and for the final recital (concert) I want to have 3 guitar players and one bass player, on stage, using a wireless system to each of their amps. I also want the second group (again comprised of 3 guitars and one bass) to be ready in the wings with their own wireless systems feeding into the exact same amps on stage.
I need to have them not heard of course while the onstage group is playing. I also don't want to have screaming wireless signals when the off stage group shuts off the guitar packs and switches them out to a third group.
What I'm trying to have happen, is when the first group walks off stage-left I can have group two walk on stage-right and start playing right away. The Vdrums, vocal mics and Korg keyboards are no problem. Also all four guitar amps have an axillary sends to the snake. I plan on having each group exchange wireless systems after the current onstage band begins to play.
I was thinking maybe using a DI with two inputs and one output placed between the two wireless outs and the single amp in.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Hopefully the simplest, cheapest way will be found.
Thanks for reading.
May 7, 2012 @06:29pm
jpleong

Why not an A/B switch?
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CoolSwitch/
or
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BigShotABY/
Another option is to have two transmitter packs per one receiver. Just make sure the in-the-wings guy keeps his off until the on-stage guy is done and turns his off.
The parallel-in DI is not a great idea because it doesn't shut off the signal from the off-stage group. And it changes the impedance.
JP
May 7, 2012 @07:51pm
Trav

Thanks a bunch JP!
I'll try those ideas!
May 8, 2012 @01:29am
TimmyP1955

If you choose a clean frequency and have the receiver's squelch set correctly, everything should go silent when all the packs are turned off.
I'd just go wired and use an A/B switch as a mute.
May 8, 2012 @04:57am