We Love Gear Sale
Sweetwater Forums

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Save My Life. Monitors.

Invert48

Hi. I have monitors. m audio bx5as. but i wanted to use them as desktop speakers. so I got a xlr to 1/4'' cable. but my monitors tend to make electric popping sounds. it's scary. I don't want my house to catch on fire or to get electrocuted and die. Why is this happening? What should I do?
May 4, 2012 @11:15pm
jpleong

Hi. I have monitors. m audio bx5as. but i wanted to use them as desktop speakers. so I got a xlr to 1/4'' cable. but my monitors tend to make electric popping sounds. it's scary. I don't want my house to catch on fire or to get electrocuted and die. Why is this happening? What should I do?

Exactly how and what is getting plugged into?
JP
May 5, 2012 @11:08pm
Invert48

each monitor is getting plugged into an outlet in the same power strip with the speaker cables. then I have 2 xlrs to a 1/4'' cable from the monitors into my macbook headphone jack.
May 5, 2012 @11:11pm
jpleong

each monitor is getting plugged into an outlet in the same power strip with the speaker cables. then I have 2 xlrs to a 1/4'' cable from the monitors into my macbook headphone jack.

Okay... First follow-up question... When does it pop? Anything you're doing that can "make" it pop?
Second question... Why not use an 1/8" stereo to two 1/4" ends (a Y) cable?
JP
May 6, 2012 @02:09am
Invert48

oh sorry it's xlr to 1/8''. sometimes it's random and I have no idea why it's popping. but one thing I did notice is I have a fan in my room that I plug in to another outlet, and when I turn the knobs my speakers pop. It's weird. maybe it was happening when the fan was plugged in.
May 6, 2012 @07:17am
jpleong

Okay, I would suggest isolating the problem; try a couple things:
1) unplug the audio cables from the monitors and see if you can get them to pop while dialing the fan.
2) get a cable like this: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CMP159/ and see if this fixes the popping problem.
JP
May 6, 2012 @03:09pm
Invert48

recently it hasnt been doing it much but one day it was popping like crazy by itself.
well just now I unplugged the cables and i dialed the fan. I heard very very faint pops. I could barely hear them. With it plugged into to my macbook it was loud. You think it's because of the XLRs?
May 6, 2012 @03:18pm
jpleong

recently it hasnt been doing it much but one day it was popping like crazy by itself.
well just now I unplugged the cables and i dialed the fan. I heard very very faint pops. I could barely hear them. With it plugged into to my macbook it was loud. You think it's because of the XLRs?

Quite possibly. XLR is a balanced connection type while the headphone output is a stereo un-balanced cable. It's possible the cable you're using isn't correctly wired. That's why I suggested the 1/8" stereo to dual 1/4" mono. Those stay unbalanced throughout and your monitors are designed to use them that way.
JP
May 6, 2012 @10:00pm
Invert48

ok thanks. they make me type at least 10 characters in this post.
May 7, 2012 @01:55am
Close Close $6,000 Mackie PA System Giveaway -- input your email address below to enter or click here to learn more.

See giveaway details & rules or check out our past winners!

Success!

Your email, test has been entered to win this giveaway. Good Luck!