0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 4

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Newbie home recorder: what microphone should i buy

pserex9

I'm searching for a low budget microphone 80-150 dollars for home recording and I'm thinking about the blue Spark (200 $) or the blue encore 100 (100 $) and would want to know what type of micro will suit me best for recording a tube guitar amp and also my voice.
PS : The audio interface is no problem as I'm thinking of buying the focusrite scarlett 2i2
April 21, 2012 @01:15am
eRoland

I would start with a Shure 57 if I only had $100. Works on guitar cabs and vocals. In a small untreated room a dynamic mic can yield good results. If you can swing it the audio technica at2050 has multi patterns. The at2035 good too.
May 22, 2012 @04:26am
David_Cochran

Personally, I'd go the Large Diaphragm Condenser route. If you're going to buy an interface like the 2i2, you'd be doing a disservice to yourself by not buying a solid condenser microphone.
The Blue spark is a great mic. I have 2 of them and can attest to their reliability and versatility. The "focus" switch is great for removing some low-end boominess.
Another really nice entry level condenser is the Studio Projects B3. It has 3 polar patterns, so you can use it in different applications such as recording multiple sources with one microphone. It also has a high pass filter, which operates the same as the focus control on the Spark. Also a 10dB pad for louder sources.
What drew you to the Spark and the 2i2?
June 2, 2012 @11:02pm