0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Spring Clearance

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Keyboard for orchestration?

evolmusiq

I need help deciding on a keyboard for MIDI orchestration. After doing some research, it seems that a weighted, hammer action keyboard would be best to have more control for velocity. I'm not sure how many keys I would need. My budget is around 1000 for a keyboard.
Also I'd like to get some input on libraries for orchestration, specifically for cinematic/video-game/epic-battle type of music. I've been looking at a few like Orchestration Essentials. But maybe I should just get something that covers more instruments like komplete 8?
Any thoughts, comments, and advice are welcome! Thank you!
April 16, 2012 @03:38am
TimmyP1955

Weighted 88 keys @ $1000. IME you'll be going used. Which of these will do what you want I can't say:
Korg Triton Studio. Least used, so I can't speak to reliability of the action.
Yamaha Motif 8. Occasional key breakage with heavy use - very easy to replace keys.
Kurzweil K2600X. Least reliable action with heavy use (various failure modes), PITA to work on the action.
April 16, 2012 @08:03am
BPlayer

If you are looking for a keyboard just for midi input but no internal sounds check out the the M-Audio Oxygen 88. Great feeling board. I've had several that I returned before settling on this one.
April 16, 2012 @12:35pm
evolmusiq

I appreciate all the feedback!
I've narrowed it down to 3 choices...
M-Audio Oxygen 88
M-Audio Axiom 61 2nd gen
Akai mpk88
With that being said, how important is it to have 88 keys? How important is it to have weighted keys? Is it beneficial to have drum pads? Do you suggest any other keyboards?
April 19, 2012 @12:50am