0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
Microphone Month 2

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Eleven Rack for Dummies

groundchuck

Hi, I'm thinking of purchasing the eleven rack with Pro Tools, and I have a real beginner's question. I don't play in a band or in the studio. I just like playing the guitar at home for enjoyment. I've been thinking about recording some material, hence the Pro Tools. My question is about amps. Do I need one? If I use the headphones, I assume I do not. If I wanted to hook up speakers to the eleven rack, do I need an amp for that? I'm sorry in advance if this question lowers the average IQ of this forum. :)
March 21, 2012 @07:08pm
jpleong

The Eleven Rack is a guitar amp modeler + effects + recording interface. It reproduces the tones of various guitar amplifiers but does not, outside of the headphone amp, provide its own amplification.
You can hook it up to active (powered) studio monitors, a P.A. system, a hi-fi amp + speakers, computer speakers, etc. if you want to use it without headphones. You can also plug it into a guitar amp and defeat the amp modeling and just use it for its effects if you so desire.
This is a big purchase so I recommend calling Sweetwater and talking to one of their sales engineers. They can answer any questions you may have and any questions that may suddenly pop in your head while asking the first questions.
JP
March 21, 2012 @08:42pm
groundchuck

JP,
Thanks for the reply and the info. I'll call Sweetwater. Thanks again.
March 22, 2012 @01:35pm
TimmyP1955

It would be a very nice setup, but a lot of expense for someone starting out. I'd get a recording software that has nice modeling in it, and go with that for a while.
March 23, 2012 @03:38am
jpleong

It would be a very nice setup, but a lot of expense for someone starting out. I'd get a recording software that has nice modeling in it, and go with that for a while.

In a perfect (computer) world that would be a good idea. However, without a good interface with good latency specs using modeling plug-ins is painful. That said, the expense of the Eleven Rack for the stated purpose is a tad excessive and there are many fantastic (and cheaper) alternatives such as any of the recent Line 6 PODs or Digitech GNX series.
JP
March 23, 2012 @05:40am