0% Interest for 24 Months! Learn more »
(800) 222-4700
  • Español: (800) 222-4701
Cart
#WinYourWestones

Sweetwater Forums [Archived]

After 15 years of great discussions, the Sweetwater Forums are now closed and preserved as a "read-only" resource. For discussions about current gear, check us out on Facebook, YouTube, inSync, and our Knowledge Base.

Focusrite LS 56 recording set-up ?s

trb157

Ok,
First post, I'll try to make my question clear and to the point.
I work for a large university and we have thousands of recordings on a variety of formats. Currently, we take the obsolete format and simply record it to CD, mostly just to have an access copy.
We would like to record to a digital audio file.
To do this, as I understand it, we need a ADC, and some sort of DAW recording set-up. I have been looking at several ADCs, one of which is the Focusrite LS 56. Assuming we have the right adapters and connectors for input, is it conceivable that we could connect, say: a DAT player, phonographs, cassette decks, reel to reel tape player, etc to the ADC and have it recorded to a digital audio file?
Just wondering if this type of interface is the right way to go or if there's something else out there to consider.
March 12, 2012 @04:55pm
Andrew_Malloy

Why not a mastering recorder? Korg's MR2000 runs stand alone, sounds tremendous, can record in DSD to get the highest resolution possible for archival and comes with software to translate the recordings to any other format. You can also use any other stand alone recorder, but there really isn't much of a need for a DAW setup to do this task. The Denon Solid State Recorder would be a great alternative to the Korg at a considerably lower cost.
March 12, 2012 @05:08pm
trb157

I know a ADC like the Focusrite is overkill for what we need since we will only be recording one "instrument" at a time, but I would like to have all of our components connected to an interface and simply switch the input to record from. We do a bit of pre and post recording engineering, but it's not overly complicated. Another option which was presented to us was to have a audio matrix switcher, but most of the ones I see with enough inputs run about 2x the cost of a firewire interface.
March 12, 2012 @05:57pm
Andrew_Malloy

If it is three devices, this would do it.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LS3/
March 12, 2012 @06:13pm